DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Play in the Steering Box help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139340)

Hoptoad 04-13-2013 07:28 PM

Play in the Steering Box help

Hey guys,
Just looking for some wisdom on some steering trouble I'm having.

98 Ram 2500 4x4 (auto)

Basically, driving it is like riding a bull ! I've made sure all the regular culprits were eliminated ( front end , alignment etc ) but I notice lots of "play" in the actual steering wheel. When I grab the steering arm from under hood and give it and twist it back and forth , I can easily turn my steering wheel 4 or 5 inches both ways without using much force at all ... (slapping it back and forth essentially). Can anyone tell me what the norm is and and if there's too much play in mine. Also, what's the difficulty level of changing it out.
I have a chance to buy a complete 99 2500 4x4 reg cab for parts and am wondering if the boxes ( providing thats what the problem is) would match up.
Thanks for the look.

Okiespaniels 04-13-2013 10:02 PM

Is it the shaft or the box? It can be either or both.

MeanMango2010 04-13-2013 10:13 PM

Might be cheaper to just buy a reman box from the parts guys instead of buying a whole truck! JK, the box should swap right in. But unless the parts truck has way less miles on it or the box was just replaced, it probably isn't much better than yours.

On a side note, if you do find your steering box to need replaced. Maybe give the place who did your alignment some grief about it. I know where I work we won't align vehicles with sloppy steering boxes. Unless of course we notify the customer first and they still want it done.

Hoptoad 04-13-2013 11:48 PM

box

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okiespaniels (Post 1069019)
Is it the shaft or the box? It can be either or both.

I can't tell if it's the box or the shaft... regardless.. there should not be that much play in any case?

Hoptoad 04-13-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanMango2010 (Post 1069028)
Might be cheaper to just buy a reman box from the parts guys instead of buying a whole truck! JK, the box should swap right in. But unless the parts truck has way less miles on it or the box was just replaced, it probably isn't much better than yours.

On a side note, if you do find your steering box to need replaced. Maybe give the place who did your alignment some grief about it. I know where I work we won't align vehicles with sloppy steering boxes. Unless of course we notify the customer first and they still want it done.

Lol, That would be an expensive steering box... but I could use the spare parts.. and a spare 360mag with 70K on it may come in handy.

Any idea what a complete assembly ( shaft/box ) is going to cost me at the local parts store?

Thanks for the reply.. any more feedback appreciated .