DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   VARARAM - Dodge Ram Performance! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Vavaram Air Grabber 2013 Ram 1500 Filter Concerns (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139421)

Zixxer 04-14-2013 07:05 PM

Vavaram Air Grabber 2013 Ram 1500 Filter Concerns

4 Attachment(s)
I posted a review on some mods that I performed recently (under the 2013 Ram group) and one of them was the Air Grabber. I certainly like the style and the possibility of improved performance.

After about a 500+ miles I pulling the filter assembly to clean everything and check my catch can. I found a lot grit or fine sand and I thought maybe I had not secured the lid snug enough or it wasn't seated correctly. I noted there is really no sealing material on the top lid and you rely on the rubber double lip to seal to the hard plastic top.

In any event, I waited a few weeks and pulled the lid today only to discover the same thing. I think that's way too much dirt/girt to be getting past the filter setup. I only do highway miles and the truck has never seen off road, gravel, etc. You'll even see where a bug is stuck between the seal lips on top...tells me there's clearly a gap.

So I've added weather stripping to the top lid, cleaned everything up and will see if that fixes it. If not, I think there's a real problem with the sealing on these systems.

Vararam Industries 04-17-2013 01:08 PM

Call us at 832-701-7700 and our tech will help you -ask for Patrick -he will help you !
Thanks
Steve
Vararam

Zixxer 04-17-2013 09:01 PM

Steve,

Thanks, I'm working 0600 to 1900 right now so this will have to wait until the weekend. You won't hurt my feelings if you want to post suggestions or whatever Patrick may offer in the form of fixes, corrections, etc. I'm pretty confident I've got this things snugged down correctly but I'm open to any tips, etc. Thanks Rick

hemipowerv8 04-25-2013 12:32 AM

What was the outcome of this?? Fixed up and doing ok?
I am looking to pickup the Vararam soon for the power gains...

billhere 05-03-2013 12:18 PM

Yes, what was the outcome of this problem... Did your weather stripping mod on the lid assy work out for you...

hemipowerv8 05-03-2013 12:40 PM

Also seems to be an issue with the 2013s with 8 speed and active grille shutters...
Vararam are you working on this? I'd like to get one ASAP once these things are addressed...
I have a Sport 8 speed (with active grille shutters) but do NOT have the sport hood...

Vararam Industries 05-03-2013 01:28 PM

Video on Air Grabber filter

Here is a video that shows the proper way for correctly installing the
filter on the 4G Vararam Air Grabber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuXIP...m-upload_owner

Zixxer 06-22-2013 02:06 PM

The weather stripping did not work. I'm out of space to post pictures but after 1,000 miles...it's awful lot of dirt. I'm pulling it and putting back on the stock setup. Nothing is worse on the engine for wear than dirt...not worth the risk.

I do think the concept is spot on, but the design is flawed...too many issues about sealed against the hood...now my hood liner looks worn as well.

billhere 06-23-2013 12:59 AM

Zixxer:
You are so correct on dirt being bad... So far my filter is staying put, with minimal pressure from the seal from the hood... I'm thinking that to much pressure, trying to get the hood to seal to the base was warping the base allowing the filter to not stay in place... It will bend the outer parameter of the base downward allowing the filter to slip out of the base... There is no amount of pressure applied from the hood that will allow this design to seal against the hood.... Period... I'm guessing (imho) that it is not important to most folks for this CAI to seal against their hoods, but I do not want to be sucking all this hot under hood heat into unit... So I'm still trying to make this work as Vararam advertises, but no love yet... Patrick has ordered some kind of special seal for me to try and make something special (not Vararam 4G Air Grabber stock) so it can seal against a bone stock Mopar hood and truck... Still waiting on Vararam to get me something to mod a stock setup and make it work as they have advertised... I'm guessing that these units are in need of a complete re-design to work with the Gen4 trucks...