DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   NY to Texas (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139437)

2RAMSAM 04-14-2013 08:42 PM

NY to Texas

Thinking of relocating. I have relatives in Texas and this is looking better and better all the time. Anti-gun legislation and all. Any thoughts folks?

pitcher3853 04-15-2013 11:29 AM

I lived in Texas for most of my life and now live in Wyoming. I have to say that Texas is the best state to live in right behind Wyoming. You won't find any state more beautiful than either of the 2. Get the heck out of NY and get to Texas! You won't regret it

tjcin 04-16-2013 08:34 PM

It might depend what you do for a living. You probably won't earn near as much in Texas as you earn in NY. Just keep in mind, probabably the only things cheaper in Texas are real estate and real estate taxes. Your Dodge truck, fuel, maintenance, health care and groceries are real close to what you pay now. All things on a scale I would work my career in the Northeast and retire in the South. I am an electrician and have worked several other places in the country and nobody beats our wages and benefits. Just my 2cents.

Excoastie 04-18-2013 05:14 AM

Move south!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It gets too damn hot in the summer, but that is made up by the fact that comparatively there isn't a winter to speak of.... especially not any snow (for most of the state).

as tj said, much depends on your work situation. There is no state income tax, but the property taxes and such can be a bit high to compensate. Many things remain similar, regardless of your geographic location.

good luck

Exco

friendlyHP 04-18-2013 12:23 PM

I'm a Texan and I love it. I can carry my gun just about anywhere, and now we can legally hunt wild boar by helicopter.

txrobtrx 04-20-2013 11:45 AM

Move South as quick as you can.

Talking to people who moved to NY, I would say most of the costs are lower here, not just real estate and taxes.

What would do it for me is that Texas isnt trying to legislate the hell out of every waking moment of our lives. I can drink all the soda I want, I can carry my gun and hunt more freely, and Bloomberg/Big Brother isnt trying to own me.

2RAMSAM 05-07-2013 11:59 PM

I appreciate you folks taking the time. Great help... THANK YOU!!

highlandchef 05-08-2013 09:33 AM

Here are two websites that will give you an idea on cost of living between NY and Texas
  1. Money.CNN.com
  2. Bankrate

I'm sure they're not perfect but they should give you an idea when comparing salaries in your line of work.

The best move I made was the time I moved from NJ to VA for a job that paid more. Unfortunately I'm back in NY, but that's life.

RogerRamJet 05-08-2013 04:32 PM

Relocated to Texas from California 11 years ago and haven't looked back. Best move I ever made.

ArmyofOne 05-10-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcin (Post 1071820)
It might depend what you do for a living. You probably won't earn near as much in Texas as you earn in NY. Just keep in mind, probabably the only things cheaper in Texas are real estate and real estate taxes. Your Dodge truck, fuel, maintenance, health care and groceries are real close to what you pay now. All things on a scale I would work my career in the Northeast and retire in the South. I am an electrician and have worked several other places in the country and nobody beats our wages and benefits. Just my 2cents.

I lived in NY for 6 years. Now I live in the Seattle Area, and let me tell you, Texas is cheaper than either of these 2 places, BY FAR.

In Fort Worth Texas, my grocery bill for a month was around $200 for myself and my wife. In NY, it was around $250. Here in WA, it is Roughly $400-$450.

In WA, Gas is $3.80-$4.00 a gallon. My folks in Fort Worth are paying $3.30 or less.

Property Taxes can be high, depending on where you live, but as a purple heart recipient in the state of Texas, that does not apply to me.

Real estate? Really? Average price of a home in the Seattle/Tacoma Metro Area? $450,000. Average price of a home in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex? $125,000.

Not to mention gun laws, cheap cars, no state income tax, etc.

I dont know about you, but when the army is done with me, my ass is going back to Texas.