DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cheap $12 grille mod (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139593)

Autobot Gears 04-16-2013 02:33 PM

Cheap $12 grille mod

3 Attachment(s)
I'm a truck driver, just about every tractor I drive has a metal mesh screen behind the grille. Even after 5 or 600 thousand kilometres, the radiators always look brand new.

Why don't regular cars/trucks come with these? The holes in the Ram's grilles are way too big (stones, rocks etc can too easily get in and damage the rad)

I looked for a long time for a company that made a metal screen/mesh grille insert...no-one makes one...so I made my own.

It is galvanized steel, so it shouldn't rust ( I hope). I looked for a black one, but this was the best I could find, a shiny steel colour. I also wanted the holes a little smaller, but this is ok.

I bought a big sheet of this stuff at home hardware, it was about $10 I believe and 2 packs of black zip ties from the dollar store ($2).

What do you think?

Autobot Gears 04-16-2013 02:36 PM

The picture in the snow is a oops, it was taken before the grille mod.

ONOutdoorsman 04-16-2013 02:40 PM

I like the idea. I would keep an eye on engine temps just to be safe.

Autobot Gears 04-16-2013 02:56 PM

I'll keep an eye on the engine temps, but I should be fine, this is not one of those flexible bug screens, it is pretty firm.

Hemiman345 04-16-2013 03:56 PM

you can get a gutter mesh in alum thats about 6 in or so wide also. looks good

battlerattle 04-16-2013 04:11 PM

Great job, I have something similar on my Jeep. On the ram I just bought some heavy duty black screen material and cut a big sheet to fit behind. No issues with temps even doing 70+ in 100+ degree temps.

Excoastie 04-17-2013 09:37 AM

Great mod!
:rep:

Thanks for sharing

Exco

05cr125r 04-18-2013 01:53 PM

great idea bud.......:pepper:

LowcountryHemi 04-18-2013 02:28 PM

This is a great Idea. I just replaced a radiator that had a small crack in the core. I suspect from a rock or something hitting the grill. I actually found several mall rocks in the little ribs that separate the core tubes. Where did you buy the stuff you used. Just a hardware store?

Autobot Gears 04-26-2013 09:05 PM

I bought it up here in Canada at a store called "Home Hardware". I'm not sure if they have stores in the states.

It is a small store like home depot, but they have more unique hard to find stuff (or it might be because home depots are so friggin huge).

I actually wanted the holes in the screen to be smaller, but its still good.

When you go to a hardware store, don't waste your time looking for this in the window section(like window screens) look for it maybe by chicken wire?