DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Thinking of buying a used 2001 2500 Cummins. Advice? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139657)

titanman2789 04-17-2013 02:55 AM

Thinking of buying a used 2001 2500 Cummins. Advice?

So after looking around and around for a decently low mileage 5.9 v8 1500 I came across an ad for a 2001 5.9 Cummins 2500. It's got 155k miles on it and asking price is 11k. Seeing how KBB lists the value for the truck from 8-10k depending on condition, I figure I could get the price down some. They say it has a clean carfax record, but I have not seen it yet. So if I check this truck out what should I look for?
Already on my checklist would be
  • No dash lights on
  • Feel for trans slip
  • Look for any leaks
  • Check for engine blowby

I'm hoping the carfax report would show me if maintenance on injectors or fuel pump was performed. At what point do you usually need those for these engines?

I've never had a diesel before but I am tempted by the reliability of the 5.9L. If the previous owner(s) took relatively good care of the truck I would be really happy to get a truck for under 10k that would last me another 10-15 years. I just need to know what to look out for to hopefully avoid a huge money pit. 2-5k in maintenance over 5 years is ok. 2-5k in maintenance over 1st year of owning this thing would not be ok

dodge man 04-17-2013 09:34 AM

You have a pretty good idea already what to look for.

Check the front end out, they are also a known weakness, just see how well it drives down the highway.

A weak spot is the injection pump, but you can get an aftermarket one pretty reasonable and that will make it bullit proof. I think its called a VP44. Other than that, they are usually a good engine.

I own a common rail Cummins, but I think the one you are looking at is a 24 valve, and its kind of in between a pure mechanical injection, and the common rail that is controlled by the electronics like mine is. The good news is you can add a tuner to it to bump the power, plus the injectors are cheaper than common rail injectors.

Just my opinion here, but once the injector pump is upgraded, that is one of the best diesel engines, most reliable, ever made for a light duty truck.

titanman2789 04-17-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodge man (Post 1072245)
You have a pretty good idea already what to look for.

Check the front end out, they are also a known weakness, just see how well it drives down the highway.

A weak spot is the injection pump, but you can get an aftermarket one pretty reasonable and that will make it bullit proof. I think its called a VP44. Other than that, they are usually a good engine.

I own a common rail Cummins, but I think the one you are looking at is a 24 valve, and its kind of in between a pure mechanical injection, and the common rail that is controlled by the electronics like mine is. The good news is you can add a tuner to it to bump the power, plus the injectors are cheaper than common rail injectors.

Just my opinion here, but once the injector pump is upgraded, that is one of the best diesel engines, most reliable, ever made for a light duty truck.

Yeah, I figured checking to see if it drives straight is a given. This is why I am tending to avoid looking at older trucks with aftermarket lift kits. Drove one at a dealer last week and it pulled to the left pretty good. Just don't want to get myself into a suspension money pit.

Hoping I can go check out this truck today or later this week. I've had a couple of trucks bought out from under me while I go home and discuss it with the wife. They were gas v8s though. Now that I've found this cummins, if it runs good with no issues I need to jump on it.

huntergreen 04-17-2013 06:46 PM

ball joints are the front end weak spot, but if this truck is in good shape, grab it.

titanman2789 04-19-2013 09:44 PM

Well....I talked to the dealer on the phone. They told me the autocheck last showed it had 169k on it. Odometer now shows 155k on it. Not sure what to think of that. Might have to pass on it