DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Garage goodies... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139683)

Grubrunner 04-17-2013 12:36 PM

Garage goodies...

We recently signed a contract to have a new home built.

For those who have done it, the beauty of building is you have it the way you want from get-go.

The interior is taken care of. The garage is my concern. It will be a double garage that's completely finished with one big door; I'm not a fan of the two single doors.

My question is what goodies should I have in the garage? Thus far, I've already opted for a large, deep sink in one corner, extra receptacles, and an extra set of lighting on the ceiling for enhanced illumination. I have amples of room to work with because apart from the tankless water heater above the sink in one corner, there only a small set of stairs leading into the house so floor and wall space is plentiful.

Cabinets, cupboards, benches and ESPECIALLY the floor's surface/ finish is my concern. I'm after something beyond the normal smooth surface that I now have and is common. Anyone have ideas or, even better, pictures they'd like to share? Open to all and any suggestions.

I have until the end of May to decide on goodies.

I do not plan to pull cars into the garage for any length of time; certainly not parked. Maybe during inclement whether only.

Cheers.

snrusnak 04-17-2013 01:27 PM

If I were building I would do the following (cheap, simple, effective):

Oil change pit(drive over it and walk down and change the oil). Pretty easy, just have a barricade or steel platform to put over it so you don't fall in when not in use lol.

A lot of electrical outlets. At least one heavy duty outlet. I actually ran one in my current house myself, I don't now recall the gauge wire but it was thicker than the normal used in the house, good for so many amps. I have IIRC a 30 amp breaker, and a 20 amp outlet. Good enough to run my welder continuously. Before I ran this I'd throw a breaker after 2-3 seconds of use with the welder.

Some sort of sink like you said.

I don't know about there but here most houses are masonry exterior walls. It pisses me off that I have flimsy stud walls on the two interior sides of the garage. I'd make the whole garage masonry.

Lights!!!! I have one light in my garage, boy does it suck when I need to see something in there.

Supports/hooks in the ceiling. Reinforce the ceiling so you can hang stuff. Put hooks every 2' in both directions or something so you can put things wherever you want in the garage.

I'm not a fan of all the expensive cabinets and this and that, to me it's a waste of money. Same with floor coatings, they do wear eventually. I'd just do a plain concrete floor and maybe put a clear sealer on it.

If your dryer is near the garage you can T off the duct and run it to the garage with a valve. Then in winter you can have heated garage.

Grubrunner 04-17-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 1072465)
Oil change pit(drive over it and walk down and change the oil). Pretty easy, just have a barricade or steel platform to put over it so you don't fall in when not in use lol..

I honestly think the costs wouldn't benefit the adavantages. I have a feeling that'll cost me a pretty penny

I currently do all the oil changes on our vehicles and the longest it takes me [my Tahoe] is app. 20 mins. I can live with that.

You may chuckle at this, but it's kinda' my "down-time" because I really enjoy do this.

Great idea nonetheless

Quote:

A lot of electrical outlets. At least one heavy duty outlet. I actually ran one in my current house myself, I don't now recall the gauge wire but it was thicker than the normal used in the house, good for so many amps. I have IIRC a 30 amp breaker, and a 20 amp outlet. Good enough to run my welder continuously. Before I ran this I'd throw a breaker after 2-3 seconds of use with the welder..

Excellent idea!

Quote:

Some sort of sink like you said..

Yeah, I'd love to take credit for that one but I can't; I got that one from a good friend who just moved into his house that he built. It's a 16" deep sink and about 24" X 18"

I'm gonna' love that one.

Quote:

I don't know about there but here most houses are masonry exterior walls. It pisses me off that I have flimsy stud walls on the two interior sides of the garage. I'd make the whole garage masonry..

Duly noted.

Quote:

Lights!!!! I have one light in my garage, boy does it suck when I need to see something in there..

Yeah, I currently have a garage that has updated T10 bulbs and it's pretty good; but I wanted better. Rather than updating the "standard" bulbs the house comes with, I decided to double the quantity of strips as well as upgrade the bulbs.

Quote:

Supports/hooks in the ceiling. Reinforce the ceiling so you can hang stuff. Put hooks every 2' in both directions or something so you can put things wherever you want in the garage..

Geat idea!

Quote:

I'm not a fan of all the expensive cabinets and this and that, to me it's a waste of money. Same with floor coatings, they do wear eventually. I'd just do a plain concrete floor and maybe put a clear sealer on it..

I love cabinets that appear to have the "built-in" look. I absolutely HATE stuff hanging on walls and exposed racks. I may have to go the route of having them custom built....

I HAVE to have something better than a "normal" smooth garage floor that's all-so common. This is what I currently have and I don't like it. A little water on it and it's like a slippery-slide. Dangerous when you have a six year old. I need a little more texture to the finish to add a little more grip. I'm visiting Line-X this weekend to speak to them about the residential service they offer in my area. I viewed a picture online of a garage floor they sprayed and it looked AMAZING!

.....and it's Line-X, so nuff' said.

Quote:

If your dryer is near the garage you can T off the duct and run it to the garage with a valve. Then in winter you can have heated garage.

Forgot to mention the garage WILL be climate controlled as I currently have. This was a HIGH priority for me. I currently have a split system but the new house will have four ceiling vent registers, with it's own return, that are tied into the downstair's ductwork and thermostat.

Should be cool....and warm.

I appreciate your suggestions and time.

Thank you.

Hermes1 04-17-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1072375)
We recently signed a contract to have a new home built.

For those who have done it, the beauty of building is you have it the way you want from get-go.

The interior is taken care of. The garage is my concern. It will be a double garage that's completely finished with one big door; I'm not a fan of the two single doors.

My question is what goodies should I have in the garage? Thus far, I've already opted for a large, deep sink in one corner, extra receptacles, and an extra set of lighting on the ceiling for enhanced illumination. I have amples of room to work with because apart from the tankless water heater above the sink in one corner, there only a small set of stairs leading into the house so floor and wall space is plentiful.

Cabinets, cupboards, benches and ESPECIALLY the floor's surface/ finish is my concern. I'm after something beyond the normal smooth surface that I now have and is common. Anyone have ideas or, even better, pictures they'd like to share? Open to all and any suggestions.

I have until the end of May to decide on goodies.

I do not plan to pull cars into the garage for any length of time; certainly not parked. Maybe during inclement whether only.

Cheers.

All excellent ideas and worth having.

Quote:

If I were building I would do the following (cheap, simple, effective):

Oil change pit(drive over it and walk down and change the oil). Pretty easy, just have a barricade or steel platform to put over it so you don't fall in when not in use lol.

My idea as well, would be well worth it in my book.

If you plan on doing vehicle work where you need to have the engine running, perhaps an exhaust opening in the garage door or on an exterior wall and appropriate exhaust hose so you can close your garage door if desired.

Grubrunner 04-17-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1073002)
If you plan on doing vehicle work where you need to have the engine running, perhaps an exhaust opening in the garage door or on an exterior wall and appropriate exhaust hose so you can close your garage door if desired.

Brilliant thought!

:smileup:

CajunDodge 04-18-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1072760)
I HAVE to have something better than a "normal" smooth garage floor that's all-so common. This is what I currently have and I don't like it. A little water on it and it's like a slippery-slide. Dangerous when you have a six year old. I need a little more texture to the finish to add a little more grip. I'm visiting Line-X this weekend to speak to them about the residential service they offer in my area. I viewed a picture online of a garage floor they sprayed and it looked AMAZING!

.....and it's Line-X, so nuff' said.

Not sure how much the Linex would cost but you could also check into a textured paint. It has the grit added to it for the slip resistance you're looking for and you can apply it yourself with a roller or sprayer if you have one so might be a more cost effective alternative depending on how much area you have to cover. I'm looking into it myself for my carport as you're right, it's slicker than snot when wet, I know from personal experience lol.

- Cajun

ridgerunnerseoinc 04-18-2013 09:56 AM

Floor drains...trust me U will use them (make sure it's legal where U R at).

Grubrunner 04-18-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunDodge (Post 1073389)
Not sure how much the Linex would cost but you could also check into a textured paint. It has the grit added to it for the slip resistance you're looking for and you can apply it yourself with a roller or sprayer if you have one so might be a more cost effective alternative depending on how much area you have to cover. I'm looking into it myself for my carport as you're right, it's slicker than snot when wet, I know from personal experience lol.

- Cajun

Duly noted.

Thanks

Grubrunner 04-18-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc (Post 1073439)
Floor drains...trust me U will use them (make sure it's legal where U R at).

Good call.

Thanks.

PaulMys 04-18-2013 07:01 PM

All of the great ideas here and NOBODY suggested a beer fridge???? LOL!