DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   "What Size Will I Need?" im goin with Mag's! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139706)

The Heart Stoper 04-17-2013 02:25 PM

"What Size Will I Need?" im goin with Mag's!

I Desided to go with a singal in / dual out 14" Mag and a Y-pipe

What size will I need on the Muffler n Y-Pipe to keep the factory pipe sizes?

S.C. Express 04-17-2013 02:56 PM

3 inch inlet. Dual 2 1/4" outlets on the muffler. Most of us just use the 2 1/2" outlet mufflers. A Simple reducer will solve the issue and you can go up on exhaust pipe size later if you choose. When I brought my muffler and truck to the exhaust shop I told him that I bought a larger outlet size, he did not even think twice about it. I think it actually helped him by giving him more room to work with.
The Y-pipe is 3" dual inlet and a single 3" outlet.

Frankf300 04-17-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.C. Express (Post 1072575)
3 inch inlet. Dual 2 1/4" outlets on the muffler. Most of us just use the 2 1/2" outlet mufflers. A Simple reducer will solve the issue and you can go up on exhaust pipe size later if you choose. When I brought my muffler and truck to the exhaust shop I told him that I bought a larger outlet size, he did not even think twice about it. I think it actually helped him by giving him more room to work with.
The Y-pipe is 3" dual inlet and a single 3" outlet.

Is that a definite? I put in my order last night with J from DAP and told him I wanted to do the exact same thing with my 2012 Hemi and he had me get a 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet Y pipe. Now I'm nervous :wow:

The Heart Stoper 04-17-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankf300 (Post 1072579)
Is that a definite? I put in my order last night with J from DAP and told him I wanted to do the exact same thing with my 2012 Hemi and he had me get a 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet Y pipe. Now I'm nervous :wow:

No you got the right one... I checked a few other places and found out the Y-pipe is a - 3in/2.25out

Frankf300 04-17-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Heart Stoper (Post 1072615)
No you got the right one... I checked a few other places and found out the Y-pipe is a - 3in/2.25out

:smiley_thumbs_up: Pheww!! Thanks, I didn't think he would've steered me wrong, but I was like crap, I don't want this to be butchered with a ton of adapters and big reducers or anything.

S.C. Express 04-17-2013 04:46 PM

The Y-pipe has a 3" outlet right? The pipe from the Y to the muffler is 3"... Both pipes coming from the cats to the Y joint is 2 1/4" for real ? I was sure it was 3" inlets on the Y..

Frankf300 04-17-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.C. Express (Post 1072648)
The Y-pipe has a 3" outlet right? The pipe from the Y to the muffler is 3"... Both pipes coming from the cats to the Y joint is 2 1/4" for real ? I was sure it was 3" inlets on the Y..

I crawled under the truck to check myself also. The Y-pipe to the muffler is 3". The way they squashed the pipes together going into the stock Y, it looks like a 3". But the individual pipes themselves are 2.25" apparently. I didn't measure them, but they are most definitely not as big as the 3". So now the Y pipe will be dual inlet to allow those pipes to be connected individually and opened up so the truck can fart better than that time I had too much Taco Bell..........JK, JK :LOL:

The Heart Stoper 04-17-2013 06:55 PM

Okay so to be Exact heres what I found out..

Y-Pipe 2: 2.5" - 1: 3"

Muffler 3" in - 2.25" Out

S.C. Express 04-18-2013 10:04 AM

Cool, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about ditching the whole exhaust of my truck and doing a Cheffred style system. 2 1/2 pipes from the cats or where ever the pipes reduce down. No y-pipe, going H-pipe and turning my muffler around and finally a 3' dump over the axle. I'm kinda aqfraid of how loud it will be, but i could get this done fairly cheap and shave some weight.

Frankf300 04-20-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.C. Express (Post 1073529)
Cool, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about ditching the whole exhaust of my truck and doing a Cheffred style system. 2 1/2 pipes from the cats or where ever the pipes reduce down. No y-pipe, going H-pipe and turning my muffler around and finally a 3' dump over the axle. I'm kinda aqfraid of how loud it will be, but i could get this done fairly cheap and shave some weight.

No way to know how loud it will be unless you try haha ;)