DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Got my BMW motorcycle on the back of my Crewcab. Some photos to show (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139806)

moulin6801 04-18-2013 01:58 PM

Got my BMW motorcycle on the back of my Crewcab. Some photos to show

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, for the benefits of those who wonder if they could carry their big bikes on the back of the truck, YES you can! This is my new Ram crewcab with a 5'7 bed, loaded up my BMW R1200 GSA.
Loaded and unloaded by myself :Wow1:
I did wonder how it would fit and it was perfect!
Any questions, just ask. If you need size of the BMW, just look it up, I am not sure exactly.
Cheers from Nashville.

05cr125r 04-18-2013 02:04 PM

sweet bro....thats a lot of bike to push up there. thanks for sharing

GTyankee 04-18-2013 02:46 PM

It looks like most of the rear tire weight is on your tailgate
While it may be alright, i would not trust it myself

One company makes a brace that goes into the receiver hitch & up to the tailgate

Another company makes metal bars that take the strain off of the tailgate cables

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iQ6...ture=endscreen

MEZERR 04-18-2013 02:56 PM

The bike looks like the kickstand is down, and tied down from there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure when trailering, or trucking bikes, it's always tied down without kickstand? Or does it really matter

LowcountryHemi 04-18-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEZERR (Post 1073802)
The bike looks like the kickstand is down, and tied down from there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure when trailering, or trucking bikes, it's always tied down without kickstand? Or does it really matter

^^^^That's always been my experience. But I don't actually own a bike myself so I dunno. :4-dontknow:

moulin6801 04-18-2013 03:11 PM

Hey, Thanks for the tip on the extra cable. The tailgate is pretty strong, no problem there, but having extra cord support sounds like a good ideia.
-Yes, put the bike on kick stand first, than as soon as you get the opposite tie down set, get the bike out of the kick stand,so no demage to truck or bending the kick stand!
- No, I did not push it up there, that would be crazy!! 550lbs bike. I have a motorcycle winch that is good for 1000 lbs. Let the winch push us up there, nice and easy, as I am seated on the bike, riding it up, controlling the winch. When I had my Harley Street Glide, I used to have a spider ramp, that I would just drive the motorcycle up my old truck, but it is a 15ft ram with arch. Nice but very bulky to store on the truck. Now with the BMW, the clearance is so good, that I can get it up there with a straight regular ramp. ( think it is only a 8ft ramp, but not sure.)

huntergreen 04-18-2013 04:46 PM

nice bike, almost didn't notice the truck !

rango88 04-18-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moulin6801 (Post 1073746)
Hey guys, for the benefits of those who wonder if they could carry their big bikes on the back of the truck, YES you can! This is my new Ram crewcab with a 5'7 bed, loaded up my BMW R1200 GSA.
Loaded and unloaded by myself :Wow1:
I did wonder how it would fit and it was perfect!
Any questions, just ask. If you need size of the BMW, just look it up, I am not sure exactly.
Cheers from Nashville.

There might be a speed bike joining the family soon so thanks for sharing so I know what to expect with my bedspace I also appreciate the tips on how to tie down the bike, that will be helpful later down the road :)

Hermes1 04-18-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEZERR (Post 1073802)

It can be done both ways. With kickstand down, you need to have a strap run in the opposite direction, pulling in the opposite direction so to prevent the kickstand from possibly folding up during travel. By the way nice truck of course and nice bike. I had a GS a few years ago (1150 version), great motorcycle.

Bronzbackhunter 04-18-2013 09:22 PM

Nice ride's. I trailer my bike when i half to hall it.