DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   keep it or no?! Need help! Debating! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139832)

dsanto 04-18-2013 07:38 PM

keep it or no?! Need help! Debating!

Ok i'm new to the forum and fairly new to dodge ram trucks! I just got my first ram and love it!

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab 4.7L v8 Magnum,
I want more power! I Put a flow master exhaust and a Cold air intake, with them alone i'm impressed with the little gains... But i'm debating on keeping and modding my engine or swapping it out and go with the 5.7! Because i want to just have a beastly monster engine and guzzle gas! jk I dont mind the gas but I want a fast powerful truck!

My engine only has 44k miles on it haha, so it's basically new! just putting that out there..
But being new to these trucks IDK where else to go from here! I'd rather throw my money towards the better route instead of dumping it in one way and then finding out it was better to do the total opposite!

Any ideas or feedback on what i should do would be appreciated!

02Kingstonram 04-18-2013 09:01 PM

Well what I did and mine is an 02, was change every fluid on the vehicle. Mine is 4x4 so all fluids, filters, brake, antifreeze, everything was changed and fresh. I don't think I would try to get any more out of a 4.7.

dsanto 04-18-2013 09:22 PM

Yea im doing the tune up tomarrow cause i need change the oil and what not, but what im after is, knowing if it's worth keeping the engine (4.7) and modding it or dont even bother cause ive seen on the forums here that you can mod it to be very fast without swapping it but idk what exactly to do...

I mean i'd get a 5.7 and have it swapped easy but i wanna know if i can stick with this lil guy and try an get the most power from it as i can, without getting the whole new motor.

tjbiker031 04-24-2013 07:46 AM

I dont think you quite realize how involved a swap really is. You need to modify the motor mounts on the frame, get new transmission and maybe drive axle and rear-end, new ecu, new wireing harness and totally rewire your car, and the list goes on.

If you want a hemi, get a truck with a hemi. I suggest you take care of all the maintenace first....all of it...and drive it for a while not beating on it and look for a different truck.

starquestbd22 04-24-2013 08:33 AM

This topic has come up before. Largely because the first gen 4.7L engine is relatively underpowered. I can say that because I had one in my 2006 QC 4x4. Your truck probably does a little better than mine did considering yours is RC vs QC.

The 4.7 can be modded some but the aftermarket hasn't been as kind to it as the Hemi. For example, unless it has changed since I traded my 4.7 truck, there are no headers available for the 4.7 engine. You can obviously do things like a CAI, tuner, and exhaust. If you really want to get serious I believe there are also some intake and head options. There may or may not be any cam options. The only one I am familiar with is the OEM high output cam swap and according to AirRam's site, these are discontinued and no longer available. Here is the site if you want to check it out.
http://www.airram.com/custompage.php?page=18#12

Given the ground that you need to make up to reach Hemi level (110hp/80tq), the lack of aftermarket support, and the cost that would be involved, I think you are better off with the Hemi. Not to mention, a 4.7 modded to Hemi level is a going to be a relatively heavily modded engine making what a Hemi makes bone stock. I just don't see the value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjbiker031 (Post 1079155)
I dont think you quite realize how involved a swap really is. You need to modify the motor mounts on the frame, get new transmission and maybe drive axle and rear-end, new ecu, new wireing harness and totally rewire your car, and the list goes on.

I don't think it's going to be quite that bad. I don't know about the engine mounts but the transmission and rear end and all the other drivetrain components are the same in the 4.7L and Hemi trucks. Yes, I would assume the PCM and some wiring will have to be swapped. It won't be simple but it's not like stuffing a V8 in a Toyota Camry either. Even so, the cost of the Hemi engine and the associated parts aren't going to be cheap.

I think your best bet is going to be to do what I did. I took care of the 4.7L truck and kept my eyes open and when I found the Hemi truck that I wanted, I traded. Couldn't be happier. Good luck!

Stampede4.7 04-24-2013 08:57 AM

You can add a 70mm TB, an 08 intake, which I can help you with. I do know someone that is working on headers, cough cough. And possible an 08 engine swap in the future, cough, cough.

Stampede.

starquestbd22 04-24-2013 09:03 AM

I assume you mean an 08 4.7L swap. What is the benefit of swapping in a newer 4.7L vs swapping in a Hemi? I know the newer 4.7 has a nice power bump over the older one but if you are doing a swap anyway what is so much easier about swapping in the newer 4.7L instead of just swapping in the still more powerful Hemi?

Stampede4.7 04-24-2013 09:36 AM

I've looked at both, the Hemi and newer 4.7. With the Hemi, you have swap engine mounts, pcm, wiring harnesses. The parts list adds up, as for the 08 engine, it will basicly be an engine swap only, hopefully.

Stampede.

starquestbd22 04-24-2013 09:41 AM

I was wondering if that might be the difference. Good luck!