DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   KBB vs. Trade value (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139926)

The1 True Outlaw 04-19-2013 09:32 PM

KBB vs. Trade value

I ordered a new ram so now I'm selling my Dakota. I chose to sell it myself rather than trade because its been so well taken care of.

From KBB
The private seller value is $7100
Dealer is $5500

I'd like to get $6500

I'm just curious if anyone has looked at their KBB value vs. what the dealer actually gave you for your trade. I asked the dealer what they would give and all they said is its gonna be wholesale value. And if I still have the Dakota when I come to pick up my new ram they will give me a trade value (really helpful):i_rolleyes:.

I'm just looking for a base value cause I have a guy who wants to buy it but won't go over $5000 and that's about the same as the KBB the dealer good/fair value. And as of right now I'm not pressed for time.

HoosierHemi 04-27-2013 02:28 PM

i've used KBB to tell them that's what I want. Using the "trade-in" valuations and condition that is accurate. You might run the check over 2 or more weeks, seems to vary quite a bit each week, as it updates values each week. IT'll say at the bottom when that value is good until. If the dealer doesn't give you at least KBB trade in, i'd start shopping around for another dealer. Some low ball ya at first (using basic vehicle info) and leave out all the add-ons (leather, sunroof, Navigation, etc.) yours might have. FOR EXAMPLE, I had dealer value mine at 25K at first....came back with printouts from KBB saying worth $28K....they moved up to that number (but I didn't want to trade for the vehicle I had test drove all day, so no deal anyways). They might say they use Black Book or something else, but KBB is pretty standard of values to use to consumers trading in. Good Luck!

itshertruck 04-30-2013 03:39 PM

Depending on where you are located, will depend on what dealers area willing to negotiate. Here in VA, they could care less about KBB, but you go and get the NADA value, and then you can argue with them. When I traded my 2010 in a month ago, they tried to tell me what the high end trade was and I argued with them for over an hour. You can also get another point of view from edmunds as well. Information makes you a better and smarter consumer.

Kcbigbadram 05-01-2013 06:53 PM

i got right at very good trade value for my 2011 sport last month when i bought my 2500

bighemi04 05-02-2013 10:29 PM

KBB is a group of analysts who sit in a room and have never sold a car. Do yourself a favor and dont go in with KBB numbers as they could be under what they actually may give you. I sell cars for a living and we use NADA and Black Book. Two entities who actually sell cars. Go in with some stupid over priced number and make them get as close as they can. We gave a lady 3500 for a car that was only worth 2000. Tell them you want 9k and make them get close, or threaten to leave.

The1 True Outlaw 05-03-2013 10:56 AM

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I still have truck for sale and no sign of the new truck yet. I had not realized There were better sources (other for that fact) than KBB, I'll have to look them up and hope full the dealer give me at least a reasonable value if it comes to that.

bighemi04 05-03-2013 05:02 PM

dont bring any numbers with you. just go in with a massive number that they wont get to, but make them get close. i was offeerd 5500 when i traded in my 04 ram, i told them 8k or no deal. they gave me 7750.

DarthRam 05-15-2013 02:42 PM

I had a local dealer offer me $2500 for my 00 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. KBB low trade value was $4700. I had replaced brakes, calipers, rotors, shocks, did trans service, regular oil changes within the last three years AND I had documentation for all of it. They wouldn't budge. Needless to say I walked and found a better truck. The local one was an 13 Express. I found a 13 Sport about three hours away. Nothing wrong with the express but IMO the Sport is so much better.

MoparMadness08 05-19-2013 12:15 AM

They will offer you less than kbb. They go by the black book instead of kbb. I asked them about my truck last weekend when we bought our 300s and they were about $7,000 less than KBB. They showed me the black book price. Kinda dumb but thats what they go by.

RogerRamJet 05-19-2013 02:19 AM

You're gonna get quite a bit less for a trade in than you would for a private sell. Haggle with the dealer, the worst that will happen is that you won't come to an agreement and you keep your truck. But remember, no matter what any book says, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.