DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   A Couple Q's from a Newbie (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139934)

izzy 04-19-2013 11:19 PM

A Couple Q's from a Newbie

im brand new to the forum, read alot of it and decided to jump in.
i recently purchased my first Dodge Ram in January of this year its a 2012 but only has a 4.7 at the time of purchase i didnt mind but now i am kicking myslef for not getting a hemi. i thought i was past my going fast/Ricky Bobby phase but im not. what mods or upgrades is there for my 4.7 if there even is any? im tired of getting bullied by Hemi's or should i just trade my truck in for one that has a hemi all i see is parts and mods and upgrades for a Hemi
can the 4.7 get some love?

brandonjansen 04-20-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy (Post 1075200)
i recently purchased my first Dodge Ram in January of this year its a 2012 but only has a 4.7 at the time of purchase i didnt mind but now i am kicking myslef for not getting a hemi. i thought i was past my going fast/Ricky Bobby phase but im not. what mods or upgrades is there for my 4.7 if there even is any? im tired of getting bullied by Hemi's or should i just trade my truck in for one that has a hemi all i see is parts and mods and upgrades for a Hemi

There's tons of upgrades you can do to a 4.7 to make it a lot better. The biggest one would be a tuner. The Bully Dog GT for Hemi Plus works for the 2012 4.7's. I absolutely love mine, made a huge difference in how the truck drives. That along with a good intake and aftermarket exhaust will give you a pretty good increase in power and torque. No you're still not going to be up to a Hemi, but you'll be a lot closer and the truck will drive a lot better.

Asur 04-20-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy (Post 1075200)

I agree with brandon and his suggestions, I love my 4.7 with all the upgrades, but if you feel you are getting bullied by the Hemi guys in your area (not sure why, most Ram 1500 owners are not like that) you will never get 100 hp more out of your 4.7 to be equal with those guys, With the tuner, 94 octane gas, throttle body, exhaust, intake, etc, I might have the engine up to 340hp which is no where near 400hp of the Hemi. So if being bullied is your reason for modding your truck to try and beat up the bullies, then trade in your truck for a 2012 Hemi, get the Diablo Tuner with either the Hemifever or the whitelighting Tune, free flow your exhaust, TB change, Vararam Intake, and while your at it, go to summit racing and pick up the DODGE RAM 1500 Nitrous Oxide kit. and you will be a happy camper against all them hemi Bullies in Bellevue . :SHOCKED:

Oh and make sure you get some nice high gears in the rear end and the LSD

RAM EM 04-20-2013 09:32 AM

^^^^What he said. You would spend a fortune just trying to get on par with a hemi. Trade in for an express, it's the hot rod of the truck world. Bare bones go fast goodness! :smileup:

izzy 04-20-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

you will never get 100 hp more out of your 4.7 to be equal with those guys
:(
thank you for the news flash guys i guess that what i needed to hear now i just gotta figure out what i wanna do.
Asur im not really getting bullied its more psychologycal im not from bellevue im from Houston Texas the truck racing scene is very big im just currently stationed in Nebraska
thanks for the wake up call i wil defiantely look into a tuner. if i do trade my truck in i will go with a Hemi or maybe go looking for a 2006 SRT

thnks again

Chris b 04-20-2013 08:27 PM

Just put some spray on your 4.7.

huntergreen 04-20-2013 10:44 PM

i have the hemi and love it, but that 4.7 is a great engine. i would think twice before i took a hit, dollar wise, on trading it in.

S.C. Express 04-21-2013 02:55 PM

It never ends man, you get the Hemi and the Diesel guys pick on you. NOBODY but 3 diesel Rams has tried to play with me.:thk: Sniff, nobody wants to play with me!:LOL:

RAM EM 04-21-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1075918)
i have the hemi and love it, but that 4.7 is a great engine. i would think twice before i took a hit, dollar wise, on trading it in.

Not so sure he would take much of a hit, if any, going to a hemi express. Just depends on what was paid in the first place, and what kind of deal could be found on the hemi. If you're going to pay on a truck for several years or more, it might as well be something you really want. OP is already experiencing buyer's remorse, and the truck's only a few months old. I would at least see if it was feasible, just sayin'...

RPM666 04-22-2013 09:06 AM

I went from a 4.7 to my Hemi and couldn't be happier - the only thing my 4.7 dominated on was gas mileage. If I'm lucky I get 15, in the 4.7 18mpg was easy.