DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   oil (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140044)

Jagr71 04-21-2013 11:28 AM

oil

I have 2012 Ram with the Hemi and I only put Mobil 1 full synthetic in it, but I got told that it make the lifts louder.
I was thinking about changing to Amsoil, will it hurt the engine swiching brand?

h2oman 04-21-2013 11:59 AM

Synthetic should help the lifters so they should actually get quieter. Switching brands at oil change won't affect anything. Some say don't add one to the other but I've never heard or seen anyone having damage by doing that. The litigation threat alone would keep manufacturers from allowing their oils to do damage by mixing.

Gantman 04-21-2013 12:27 PM

Jagr71, just wanted to know your thoughts on someone telling you that synthetic oil makes lifters noisier? I'm interested in the reasoning.

Hermes1 04-21-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gantman (Post 1076286)
Jagr71, just wanted to know your thoughts on someone telling you that synthetic oil makes lifters noisier? I'm interested in the reasoning.

Me too, never heard of that to be honest. As mentioned switching brands will not hurt a thing. The prevailing wisdom is not to mix brands, but if you decide to switch at the next change no worries. While I am an Amsoil fan, Mobil 1 makes a darn good synthetic and should not have adverse effects on your engine.

Asur 04-21-2013 01:30 PM

As the others have said, any 5w-20 full synthetic is excellent, and as for lifter noise, its not going to make any difference what 5w-20 full synthetic you use, the Hemi is a noisy engine, period, Just change your oil as recommended and Amsoil is a great product also. Mixing different brands is not a good idea but but if you need to top off with other than what you had in your engine, use the same 5w-20 you will be fine.

highlandchef 04-21-2013 03:11 PM

I'm an Amsoil guy but Mobile 1 is a quality product. I don't like mixing brands but switching is perfectly fine.

I had the best luck quieting the "Hemi tick" when I went to Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20. It lubricates better at startup than the 5w-20 but still has the same operating temperature protection.

Anyone telling you the lifters will be louder with full synthetic, IMHO, doesn't know what they are talking about. Many members have switch to full synthetic just to help quiet the Hemi.

Jagr71 04-22-2013 06:24 AM

The dealer ship said that Mobil 1 viscosity is what making my lift so loud.
I heard the and at fir I thought it was the exhaust manifold but they said no and charged me, even thought it's still under warranty.
I wasn't thinking about mixing them just on my next oil change, cause I heard good thinking about that oil. I still do like Mobil 1, if it doesn't matter then I will keep it.

Chris b 04-22-2013 06:56 AM

And charged you for what? I've used Royal Purple from day one and I have the quietest hemi's out of all my friends (4 of us)

highlandchef 04-24-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagr71 (Post 1077046)
The dealer ship said that Mobil 1 viscosity is what making my lift so loud.

And in other news they'll claim you get bad mpg because you used good gas.

Sorry that just doesn't make sense. Synthetic flows better at start up than conventional oil and it resists breaking down longer than conventional oil at operating temp. Did they give anymore info?

Jagr71 04-27-2013 09:57 AM

they charged me for find nothing wrong, even thought it's got lots of warranty.
no they did give anymore info just Mobil1 visosty makes the lifters load for a bit.