DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   2011 Outdoorsman Towing Mirrors (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140076)

Chris In Marshfield 04-21-2013 04:32 PM

2011 Outdoorsman Towing Mirrors

3 Attachment(s)
Good afternoon everyone,

A while back I did some research on trailer mirrors for my '11 Outdoorsman. In this thread, Otterdriver suggested RockAuto.com as a source:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126249

I ordered and received them a week or so ago, and put them on yesterday. They look and work fabulous! From my invoice:

2011 RAM 1500 5.7L V8 OHV
CH1320315 Outside Mirror $ 154.79
CH1321315 Outside Mirror $ 154.79
Shipping Ground $ 14.03
Tax $ 17.80
Order Total $ 341.41

Pics of the new mirrors are attached.

Now just waiting for the stinkin' Wisconsin snow to stop falling so I can get out and do some camping! Longest. Winter. Ever.

~Chris

Attachment 35216

Attachment 35217

Attachment 35218

Mopar Big Horn 04-21-2013 07:46 PM

nice looking truck Chris, how easy was this project?

Chunkem 04-21-2013 08:03 PM

Great looking truck.....Nicely done......

Otterdriver 04-21-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield (Post 1076472)
Good afternoon everyone,

A while back I did some research on trailer mirrors for my '11 Outdoorsman. In this thread, Otterdriver suggested RockAuto.com as a source:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126249

I ordered and received them a week or so ago, and put them on yesterday. They look and work fabulous! From my invoice:

2011 RAM 1500 5.7L V8 OHV
CH1320315 Outside Mirror $ 154.79
CH1321315 Outside Mirror $ 154.79
Shipping Ground $ 14.03
Tax $ 17.80
Order Total $ 341.41

Pics of the new mirrors are attached.

Now just waiting for the stinkin' Wisconsin snow to stop falling so I can get out and do some camping! Longest. Winter. Ever.

~Chris

Attachment 35216

Attachment 35217

Attachment 35218

Congrats on the mirrors! I'm glad that they turned out descent. I concur about the winter:158: Ridiculously long already:str::LOL:

sdhappart 04-21-2013 11:57 PM

Nice job. looks great.

Chris In Marshfield 04-22-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmark0612 (Post 1076643)
nice looking truck Chris, how easy was this project?

It was incredibly easy. The door panels came off in a few minutes, two plugs on an electronic module attached to the inner door skin. Three nuts hold the mirror on. Off with the old, on with the new. All told, it took less than an hour.

As a quick overview, it went like this:
  1. Remove the panel covering the mirror fasteners on the upper forward portion of the door. It just snaps on.
  2. Remove one #3 Phillips screw behind the door-opener handle. It's behind a small cover, so you'll need to use a small pick or screwdriver to pop it open.
  3. Remove the six (maybe seven) plastic push-in fasteners around the perimeter of the door panel. They're plastic and have torx heads on them. Use light pressure and unscrew them. You'll be able to pull them out by hand after they're about half way out.
  4. Use a small pick to pull the other half of those fasteners out of the door panel.
  5. Pull out on the door-opener handle, and lift up on the door panel with the big handle (the one you grab when you close the door). The door panel will slide up about an inch or so, and then you can pull it off. Watch the wires on the window/lock switch panel. You've got plenty of slack, but be gentle.
  6. Disconnect the two plugs that go to the mirror from the electronic module attached to the inner door skin.
  7. You'll have to remove some electrical tape from from the cable that attaches it to a small clip in the door. It's easier to remove/replace the tape than it is to pull the clip out.
  8. Remove the three nuts that hold the mirror on, and pull the old mirror off the truck.
  9. Reverse the process to put the mirror on. It's easier if you pop out the cup that goes behind the door-opener handle and re-insert it after the door panel has been slid down into place on its hooks.

It actually took me longer to type this list than it did to replace the mirror :smileup:

The driver's side door took a little longer because a bit of corrosion causing the nut to bind on the stud, and the stud came out of the mirror housing instead of the nut coming off of the stud.

I removed the other two nuts, removed the mirror, then used a crescent wrench on the stud assembly (it's got a hex "head" on it) and a socket to get it the rest of the way off. There was no damage to the stud or the nut, so I put the stud back in the mirror assembly, and put the nut back on the new mirror.

Thanks for the kudos on the truck. I've really done nothing to it other than put new mirrors on. The truck looks so darn nice and performs so well in its stock form, I don't really want to do anything else to it!

~Chris

Chris In Marshfield 04-22-2013 11:22 AM

One other comment about the mirrors. Since they flip up, I was worried that I was going to have to figure out how to translate the button pushes on the mirror control to mirror direction. But thankfully, Dodge already has that figured out for us! Flip the mirrors up, the electrics change so you can still move the mirror in the direction you'd expect from the button push.

I'm glad someone was thinking with this one! :smileup:

They are quite a bit larger than the stock mirrors, so I have to fold them up to safely get into and out of the garage (safely, as in "don't rip the mirrors off the truck backing out"). But the additional visibility is amazing.

One other item to note, the right-side mirror is *not* a "The object in this mirror are closer than they appear" type.

~Chris

CanuckHRAM 04-22-2013 05:00 PM

Good Job Chris! Your new Trailering Mirrors look exactly like the factory Trailering Mirrors on my 2011 Outdoorsman. I did not realize that you could order the Outdoorsman with just regular mirrors - guess I was lucky that mine came with the Trailering ones. I love my Outdoorsman as it is set-up great from the factory for towing (built in trailer brake controller, 3:92 gears, tow mirrors, tranny cooler, etc.).

I tow a 21Ft. Travel Trailer and I just love these mirrors. Had just regular sport mirrors on my 2003 Ram and what a difference. They take just a little bit of time getting used to as they are quite large (even in the non-extended state) but they work great. I have even noticed that mine work quite well when towing my trailer even when they are not extended (learned this when I forgot to extend them one time).

Yep, our Winter up here in Calgary, Canada just does not want to end either this year. We had some snow just this last weekend. My first camping trip out will be end of May.

Hope you have a great Camping Season.

Chris In Marshfield 04-22-2013 05:13 PM

I agree. It's a great towing vehicle. I have the integrated trailer brake and other tow goodies as well. The mirrors are going to make a great addition. The clip-ons are marginal at best.

Mine is a 27-footer (ultralight - 4400 lbs. empty), and the truck tows it effortlessly, even when the water tank is full. I have friends who have 6000-7000 pound rigs. I'm very curious how the Dodge would feel pulling one of those. The one thing I do know, using mine as a baseline, the mileage goes from "meh" to "gawd" when pulling it :wow:

~Chris

sheikyerbouti 04-23-2013 12:44 AM

Ive got the 2011 Outdoorsman too, with regular mirrors. These things should be standard on the Outdoorsman !!! The thing is designed for towing with the sway control, suspension and gear ratio. Why not give us the mirrors ? However, I do like the puddle lights on the regular mirrors. I just ordered some K source slip on tow mirrors from etrailer.com for 50 bucks. They have rave reviews and look stock. Theres even an opening in them for the puddle lights. Id much rather have yours though lol