DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Backup cam question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140270)

nikeman 04-23-2013 11:34 AM

Backup cam question

I test drove a new truck with the backup cam and I know they now have the lines on them. Do the lines represent where the tires are? Or are they just distance markers so you don't hit something?

Monster5601 04-23-2013 11:43 AM

The lines bend with respect to the steering angle, remaining parallel to each other, and show the predicted travel path the truck will take.

nikeman 04-23-2013 11:48 AM

Cool. I always wished my '11 ram had the lines!

Hermes1 04-23-2013 12:22 PM

I noticed when I have driven to work, if I line the camera lines with the parking space lines, the truck is perfectly centered witihn the space.

nikeman 04-23-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1078312)
I noticed when I have driven to work, if I line the camera lines with the parking space lines, the truck is perfectly centered witihn the space.

So you think the lines represent the outer edges of the truck? It pictures I've seen online it looks like the lines would match up perfectly with the tires and that would be very cool.

The Crow 1994 04-23-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikeman (Post 1078326)
So you think the lines represent the outer edges of the truck? It pictures I've seen online it looks like the lines would match up perfectly with the tires and that would be very cool.

The lines are supposed to represent the outer edges of the truck.

Hermes1 04-23-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikeman (Post 1078326)

That is what I am guessing or at least close to it, but to be honest I have not had enough real world experience with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 (Post 1078476)
The lines are supposed to represent the outer edges of the truck.

Well there we have it, thanks.

rdsabin 04-24-2013 07:40 AM

The different colors of the lines represents the distance to the object behind you.

CharlieL 04-24-2013 03:00 PM

Out of curiosity, I had to do a test. Using a 1x2 piece of wood 10 feet long, I put the stick on the ground butted up against the rear tire to figure out where the lines fall. It was obviously not the center of the tire. Nor was it adjacent to the outer edges of the truck. On my Laramie, the lines on the screen match exactly when I placed the stick just at the outer of the three "middle" tread sections of the tire, which is a bit inside the outer edge of the truck & to the inside of the bumper corner.

jcbowen 04-24-2013 09:55 PM

does anyone know if the system has an alarm you can turn on if you get too close on the sides?