DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Engine swap (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140321)

hardcableman 04-23-2013 10:38 PM

Engine swap

Im gonna swap out my oil smokey one for one that dosent smoke . I hope. i got a motor and tranny out of a 98 2500 360 and gonna transplant it in my 2001 2500. any advice about the swap. altornator is different so is the passanger side exhaust manifold . everything else is the same thank you for your replies JOHN

MACKEYAUTOREPAIR 04-24-2013 08:22 PM

I'm swapping motors right now, pulled both and got one done. One is a 2001, 1500, auto. The other is a 1999, 2500, manual. I have the one from the 99 installed in the 01, been drivin it for a couple weeks. All I had to do was get a bushing to put in the auto crank to accept a pilot, swap crank sensors (manual to auto is different), and swap fuel rails, the injectors are different so the plug in was also. My alternators were the same, along with all the other sensors. My pipes bolted right up to my manifolds in the first one, so I assume they will in the other. The only advice I have and what I will do on the second is to pull the motor mounts off the block, get the tranny plated up, then put them on. It was a bear getting them up, down, and in, all while trying to hook up the trans. Funny thing was, I swapped a V10 a few years ago, and don't remember it being an issue!

hardcableman 05-02-2013 01:49 PM

I did the swap without removing the mounts everything went surprisingly smooth ....... now i'm having a problem with my overdrive it isn't working.......... i used my intake water pump n passenger side exhaust manifold the shift points are a little off i think they are around 3500 rpm from 1st to 2nd but no overdrive . i don't want to swap it out for my original one ..... any advice would be greatfull thanks for the replies John

MACKEYAUTOREPAIR 05-03-2013 04:51 PM

Hmmm...did you unhook anything from the trans when you swapped? You shouldnt have to, but things happen. I assume your fluid level is good, the next step for a non-trans expert would be filter, keep me informed, maybe somethin will kick in my head.

hardcableman 05-03-2013 05:28 PM

I did a new fluid n filter change out it took 7 qts . ...Just got back from AAMCO transmissions n i have no 4th or overdrive gears... so back in goes the other trans... lots of fun again... ..thanks for the info.. John

Warlock III 05-04-2013 12:25 PM

If I remember correctly the it should have had either a 46 RE or a 46 RH.

You may have inadvertently swapped the (R)"E"lectronic for an (R)"H"ydraulic, or vice-versa.

hardcableman 05-05-2013 08:56 PM

I'm planning on putting the original tranny back in ...this should correct the issue ... thank you for your replies ...John

hardcableman 05-10-2013 09:37 PM

thanks for all the help ... just got done REINSTALLING my transmission back in and its working fine ...John