DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   For those who did the full size mod (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140334)

rango88 04-24-2013 12:46 AM

For those who did the full size mod

This thread is for those who owned a Compact truck or midsize truck:
-Ford Ranger/ Sportrac
-Tacoma
-Frontier
-S10/ Colorado/Canyon
-Dakota
-Ridgeline (unibody but still classified as a truck)
-or any other smaller truck

Just curious as to what you owned before hand and why you did the move up to a fullsize truck. Please also state what you like/dislike in comparison of the smaller workhorse truck you had.

I.E. I'll start

Previous Truck:'11 Ford Ranger Supercab, 4L V6, 2WD, Manual, 3.55 gears
Current Truck:'11 Dodge Ram 1500, CC, Big Horn, Hemi, 4x4, 3.55 gears

Reason of change: Needed more passenger comfort and room for future kids. I opted for the Ram over the F150 since I prefer the styling and engines of the Ram as well as the fact that my family has a large Dodge Truck/Full size Van following with great experiences.

The comparison
*What I like of the Ram: Better seats, better power, better ride, more room for passengers, more safety options, more luxuries and that V8 sound.
*What I dislike of the Ram: Large, which makes parking more calculating, lack of feel steering, MPG (I knew what I was getting into ;) ), higher mileage then my ranger when traded in. Ram was bought used with 35,000 miles so I ended up with scratches and wear of a previous owner that I wouldnt have done to the truck.

*What I liked of the Ranger: Manual Transmission, smooth power delivery, nimble (smaller), ease of parking, simplicity (less things to go wrong), proven reliability, bought new to my specks, had 12,000 miles when traded in and the mods I had done.
*What I disliked of the Ranger: Ride (bouncy), seats were terrible, dated sound system and interior components, road and tire noise (no sound deadening), OEM tires were terrible, MPG for such a small truck (only slightly better MPG then my current RAM). Shifter throws were overly long (hit your knuckles on the cigarette lighter shifter into first).

Overall I don't regret the switch at all. The more I drive the Ram the more I love it and the less I miss the Ranger. Hemi FTW :)

***Please note that I will include a poll, please vote what your previous small truck was

huntergreen 04-24-2013 01:59 AM

went from a f150 to a toyota 4x4 manual shift. very uncomfortable seats. coming from full size p/u i just found it do any task i needed it to do well. as far as my rams, the only thing i really didn't like were the backup lights.

Untamed 04-24-2013 09:18 AM

Went from a 2003 Sonoma Zr2 Lifted 4 inches on 33's to Ram Sport lifted close to the same on 33's.

Sonoma: Pros - Small, light and floats through the mud, No traction control.

Cons - 3 door, 3 seater. Box space. (which was still pretty good for a 1/4 ton)

Ram: Pros - Bigger = better, Box space, 4 door, power, sound, looks.

Cons - Traction control

Gas mileage is about the same on both with the setups I have pushing bigger tires.

hydrex 04-24-2013 09:40 AM

I had owned 2 Tacomas and before that 3 Mazdas, including 2 Mazda Rotary PU's. The Rotarys were fun to drive, averaged 16 mpg but rusted to hell fast. The Mazda B3000 was the most comfortable of all the small trucks, but gutless and again 16 mpg. A 4 cyl Tacoma had a defective motor, after a big hassle got Toyota to fix it. Rode like a buckboard, worst seats ever, got decent mileage 22+. Last, a V6 supercharged Tacoma, it was pretty quick, but loud whine from blower was not a nice sound, more like a dentist drill. Horrible seats, terrible, dangerous handling at full power. Rear axle would gyrate at 60 mph and truck would want to flip over! 16 mpg with a tailwind. 05 bought my Ram, now with 185,000 miles and I'd never look at any truck but a Ram, good mileage, super comfortable, best handling, fun to drive, 6 people in comfort! With a 100 shot the Ram is fast enough to surprise a lot of folks, too! Oh, best of all, my back problems went away after buying the Ram, Tacoma seats are the worst. Oh, as nice as the new Rams are, and I've driven a bunch of them, my old Ram just fits me to a T.

Mr. Tim 04-24-2013 10:30 AM

I came from a 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro4x. It had a 2 inch lift and 285/75/16 GY Duratracs. Loved that truck but it was only a king cab not a crew cab. I needed a crew cab more and more so I went shopping. I was real close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Baja. Found out that for roughly the same money I could get into a nicely equipped Ram Sport. The extra power, interior room, bed space and similar mpg all offset the fact that I did not want a big full size truck. In the end I made a good choice however I must say that if I would have gotten a crew cab Frontier to begin with, I probably would not have traded it in.

rango88 04-24-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tim (Post 1079267)
I came from a 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro4x. It had a 2 inch lift and 285/75/16 GY Duratracs. Loved that truck but it was only a king cab not a crew cab. I needed a crew cab more and more so I went shopping. I was real close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Baja. Found out that for roughly the same money I could get into a nicely equipped Ram Sport. The extra power, interior room, bed space and similar mpg all offset the fact that I did not want a big full size truck. In the end I made a good choice however I must say that if I would have gotten a crew cab Frontier to begin with, I probably would not have traded it in.

I was looking at a crew cab 2012 Nissan frontier for the same money as my Ram but the Frontier had 20,000 less miles. After looking at the rear seat space and MPG numbers of the Frontier, I decided to go Ram. I was hoping to find a manual Frontier crew cab but they are difficult to find.

32seventeen 04-24-2013 02:31 PM

I had owned a couple of Dakota trucks and I need a little more power than the v6 I had in my last one. When it came time to buy a new truck, I found out the 4.7 in the Dakota got the same mpgs at the 4.7 in the Ram, I jumped ship and bought the Ram. For me, there was basically no disadvantage of having the bigger truck. 7 years after that I traded the 4.7 Ram on the Hemi Ram I own now.

S.C. Express 04-24-2013 04:32 PM

I owned 4 or 5 Nissan hardbody trucks, 1 S10 and a Toyota 2wd pickup. The Nissans were so darn reliable we just kept buying them. Easy & affordable to maintain, never let me down. Downside to the Nissan, boring interiors and not very comfortable except for the King Cabs with bucket seats.
The Yota I hated from day one, bought it because I had to down grade after my first wreck. My insurance went thru the roof and ket going...
The S10 was by far my favorite to drive. Great ride, comfy seats, no gripes at all other than the pathetic 4 cyl.
Now why i bought the Express... At 37 years old and never having owned a vehicle with a V-8, I had to get one before they go extinct.. For 19,000 dollars and I have a quiet, comfortable, beautiful ride that has a Hemi and gets roughly the same mpg's as all those small trucks, well almost... They all averaged about 20 mpg's, except for my 4wd Nissan KingCab with a 4 cyl. It sucked gas, around 16 mpg at best.

gofish101 04-24-2013 05:44 PM

I had a 2011 Ranger FX with 4.56 and it could go anywhere but needless to say it wasn't all that comfortable and more importantly all 4 boats would not fit. Now we can put in 2 - 8ft prams and 2 pontoons on top and fit 4 guys comfortably. The gas mileage on the Ranger was horrible as well for a six banger. I have to admit I do miss the Ranger when it comes to parking in tighter areas. I love my Ram and am looking forward to our 2 week fishing holiday coming up in May with her.

daggertats 04-24-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrex (Post 1079233)
I had owned 2 Tacomas and before that 3 Mazdas, including 2 Mazda Rotary PU's. The Rotarys were fun to drive, averaged 16 mpg but rusted to hell fast. The Mazda B3000 was the most comfortable of all the small trucks, but gutless and again 16 mpg. A 4 cyl Tacoma had a defective motor, after a big hassle got Toyota to fix it. Rode like a buckboard, worst seats ever, got decent mileage 22+. Last, a V6 supercharged Tacoma, it was pretty quick, but loud whine from blower was not a nice sound, more like a dentist drill. Horrible seats, terrible, dangerous handling at full power. Rear axle would gyrate at 60 mph and truck would want to flip over! 16 mpg with a tailwind. 05 bought my Ram, now with 185,000 miles and I'd never look at any truck but a Ram, good mileage, super comfortable, best handling, fun to drive, 6 people in comfort! With a 100 shot the Ram is fast enough to surprise a lot of folks, too! Oh, best of all, my back problems went away after buying the Ram, Tacoma seats are the worst. Oh, as nice as the new Rams are, and I've driven a bunch of them, my old Ram just fits me to a T.

ill second that about the seats in the tocamas being the worst ever