DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Drag Racing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Bummed about track times. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140415)

RAM EM 04-24-2013 10:29 PM

Bummed about track times.

Went to the track last night and made a couple of passes. Ran a 15.01 first run, and a 14.81 on the second. I thought I'd do a little better than that w/ the mods I have. Kinda makes me not want to do anything else to it, feel like I'm wasting money at this point.

RadioFlyer 04-24-2013 10:41 PM

Could be your gear ratio/tire height, what is it?

Redhemi03 04-24-2013 10:41 PM

Did you run on the 22's? Any track prep? Weight reduction? paper air filter or cold air intake? Did you spin any? 3.55's?

RAM EM 04-24-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioFlyer (Post 1079853)
Could be your gear ratio/tire height, what is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redhemi03 (Post 1079855)
Did you run on the 22's? Any track prep? Weight reduction? paper air filter or cold air intake? Did you spin any? 3.55's?

Only prep was lowered pressure in rear tires. No spin. Ran w/ TC off and then on. Ran wheels/tires in sig. Yep, they're crap 3.55's. Stock intake+mods in sig. I thought I would be in the mid to low 14's.

Redhemi03 04-24-2013 11:07 PM

Next time pull your air filter, I would look into some 17's with a set of short radials, pull the tailgate and rear seats for a little weight reduction. it seems like a lot but But that kind of stuff helps a lot! It's hard to get that big of a truck in the low 14's or high 13's with only a tune and muffler, just keep going man, you just started modding so keep your head up

Gantman 04-24-2013 11:12 PM

I think you need to invest in 28" drag radials if your going to want to bust into the high 13's bud. Correct me if I am wrong but "TheBlackHemi's" CC runs 3.55's and 28" drags for track times in the 13's. His lightweight 17" wheels with his 28" diameter track tires weigh in at 53lbs. Try weighing your 22" wheel and tire, and see what kind of weight is holding your truck back. You just have to find your right setup for track days thats all.

CdnoilRAM 04-24-2013 11:53 PM

The things that are killing you are your 22" wheels, even if they don't weight much compared to other wheels, the bulk of the mass is much further away from the hub, which increases the rotating mass, requiring more torque to get moving.

However, for you mods with a full weight quad cab your times are about right. My '07 ran low 15s with similar mods and I wasn't into the 13s until I was running a cam/heads + nitrous. You have to remember you're trying to race with a 5900lb brick, so to get it moving you need more power.

A gear swap and smaller wheels will help with your ETs greatly, but if you really want to get faster you need to generate more power.

TheBlackHemi 04-25-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gantman (Post 1079904)
I think you need to invest in 28" drag radials if your going to want to bust into the high 13's bud. Correct me if I am wrong but "TheBlackHemi's" CC runs 3.55's and 28" drags for track times in the 13's. His lightweight 17" wheels with his 28" diameter track tires weigh in at 53lbs. Try weighing your 22" wheel and tire, and see what kind of weight is holding your truck back. You just have to find your right setup for track days thats all.

You are right with everything but I have 3.92s and my truck will never see 13s again LOL it's stripped down and back to stock. All I can say is when it was all said and done I was left with a broken tranny and Whitelightning is a female dog IMO for completely point the finger at me and not owning up to his f up.

Chris b 04-25-2013 12:31 AM

I really didn't see any improvements with my mods tell I installed the long tube headers, Now she pulls hard all through the rpm's. Get some headers on that fat girl. lol

ericlee9386 04-25-2013 12:47 AM

I had to get a converter, longtubes and dr's to see low to mid 14s. It takes alot to get these trucks going. After this cam swap next week i will be done modding my truck and buying a car to build for the track.