DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   My MPG Testing. 18.5 avg to 22.3 avg (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140534)

Todd157k 04-26-2013 12:25 AM

My MPG Testing. 18.5 avg to 22.3 avg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd157k (Post 1060212)
2012 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 3.92, bone stock w/Bullydog. 20.3 mpg over a 167 mile trip, 72-75 mph (mostly on cruise control), 90% hwy (got off the fwy a couple times for some side trip stuff). There's about 1000 ft. overall elevation drop from me to SD.
My trip back was stuck in traffic almost the whole way (easter weekend) and my 20.3 dropped to 17.6 for the 334 trip.
My prior trips to SD without the BD, I was always 18-18.5.. usually the same speed.

Update...

Since I wrote the above (in another thread), I've made a couple more changes. I put a vararam intake on there and tested a few of the suggestions on here. My test run was to/from work which is 71 miles (r/t) consisting of uphill/downhill most of the way. In California, there aren't too many "flat" roads. Summing it up:
Stock = 18.5 avg
Stock w/ Bullydog = 20.6 mpg
Vararam w/ Bullydog = 19.5 mpg (ya, it got worse.. I'll explain below)
Vararam w/ Bullydog & MDS off (6th gear) = 21.7 mpg
Vararam w/ Bullydog, MDS off and running Premium fuel (91 oct) = 22.3 mpg!!!! :Wow1:

My mileage went down when I put the Vararam on there but for good reason. With a "Cold air Intake" it should suck in colder air. I modified my Vararam front to get as much cold air as possible. It worked.. but the IAT is now sensing colder air and richening up the mixture. Yes, that should be more power too, but at this point I'm looking for better mileage. Once I put the Premium gas in, and turning off MDS, the power gain took over the slight increase in mixture. I think the mileage went up with the MDS off is because the road is constantly going uphill/downhill so the truck never 'labors' to go up a hill and then kick-down a gear. I would bet that if it were flat roads, it would be better with MDS on.

If you do the math, an increase of 4 mpg will pay for the Bullydog and Vararam in about a year.

h2oman 04-27-2013 10:21 AM

Very impressive. Great post.

LostAtSea85 05-27-2013 03:53 PM

Very cool. It's good to know there's a way to maintain MPGs without MDS, even if it is just highway. Coasting and using MDS is the only way I stay above 18 with my urban work commute.

TRCM 06-03-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd157k (Post 1081144)
Update...

Since I wrote the above (in another thread), I've made a couple more changes. I put a vararam intake on there and tested a few of the suggestions on here. My test run was to/from work which is 71 miles (r/t) consisting of uphill/downhill most of the way. In California, there aren't too many "flat" roads. Summing it up:
Stock = 18.5 avg
Stock w/ Bullydog = 20.6 mpg
Vararam w/ Bullydog = 19.5 mpg (ya, it got worse.. I'll explain below)
Vararam w/ Bullydog & MDS off (6th gear) = 21.7 mpg
Vararam w/ Bullydog, MDS off and running Premium fuel (91 oct) = 22.3 mpg!!!! :Wow1:

My mileage went down when I put the Vararam on there but for good reason. With a "Cold air Intake" it should suck in colder air. I modified my Vararam front to get as much cold air as possible. It worked.. but the IAT is now sensing colder air and richening up the mixture. Yes, that should be more power too, but at this point I'm looking for better mileage. Once I put the Premium gas in, and turning off MDS, the power gain took over the slight increase in mixture. I think the mileage went up with the MDS off is because the road is constantly going uphill/downhill so the truck never 'labors' to go up a hill and then kick-down a gear. I would bet that if it were flat roads, it would be better with MDS on.

If you do the math, an increase of 4 mpg will pay for the Bullydog and Vararam in about a year.

Not when you drive less than 5k / yr. :smileup:

Designflaw 06-03-2013 04:20 PM

How do you turn your MDS off only in 6th gear?

Todd157k 06-18-2013 10:15 AM

I didn't. I put it in 5th. I believe you can turn off the MDS with the bullydog, but I haven't tried it.

Ezekielguy86 06-19-2013 10:46 PM

I now have very similar setup and really hope to see these numbers or even better on my 460 mile each way trip to obx next month.