DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   R&P Oil Changes (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140550)

LS1EB 04-26-2013 10:16 AM

R&P Oil Changes

So I have been heavily involved in the off-road world for quite some time and have set up several ring & pinions for myself and friends. Whenever you do a setup you always change your diff oil after the first 500 miles because of all of the small shavings that occur during break in and seating the teeth. Same thing goes for building a motor, after the first few hundred miles you change the oil due to the bearing break-in and such. There is no mention of this anywhere in the manual, just the typical change intervals. Pardon me as this is my first new vehicle ever, but do they perform some sort of accelerated break in at the factory and change the oil there? I know itís kind of a newb question and I have searched and have found that the break-in oil changes are not necessary but just curious as to why?

Grimass 04-26-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1EB (Post 1081335)
So I have been heavily involved in the off-road world for quite some time and have set up several ring & pinions for myself and friends. Whenever you do a setup you always change your diff oil after the first 500 miles because of all of the small shavings that occur during break in and seating the teeth. Same thing goes for building a motor, after the first few hundred miles you change the oil due to the bearing break-in and such. There is no mention of this anywhere in the manual, just the typical change intervals. Pardon me as this is my first new vehicle ever, but do they perform some sort of accelerated break in at the factory and change the oil there? I know itís kind of a newb question and I have searched and have found that the break-in oil changes are not necessary but just curious as to why?

_Technically_ We probably should. However, the ones that come from the factory are usually not machined to the tolerances of an aftermarket set. Having a bit more slop in them is not the end of the earth compared to a race truck.

The same could also be said about new transmissions (Or any lube point). But again, the tolerances they machine these too anticipate this when they are designed vs. An after-market gear set.

LS1EB 04-26-2013 03:06 PM

Makes sense, I'm still tempted to do them anyway just for my own silly peace of mind.

Grimass 04-26-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1EB (Post 1081557)
Makes sense, I'm still tempted to do them anyway just for my own silly peace of mind.

It's really up to you. I would recommend if you do choose to do so, just use the MOPAR fluids, and not get fancy with royal purple or anything.

Also, if you have the LSD there is a additive required to make sure the clutches operate properly.

ValleyRacer 04-28-2013 12:38 AM

There is no such thing as a MOPAR fluid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimass (Post 1081571)
It's really up to you. I would recommend if you do choose to do so, just use the MOPAR fluids, and not get fancy with royal purple or anything.

Also, if you have the LSD there is a additive required to make sure the clutches operate properly.

MOPAR doesn't make any fluids or filers, they have fluid specs and have MOPAR logo put on.

Royal Purple is as fine a product line as any lubricant company in existence. Their product performance has been proven in any number of tests readily available on GOOGLE and you tube and car/truck magazines.

Limited slip additives are only to prevent "shudder" and break down quickly.

ValleyRacer 04-28-2013 12:46 AM

Change the filter and/or insert magnetic plug

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1EB (Post 1081335)

If you have concerns about engine break in and attendant metal particles - just change the oil filter. For the pittance of an oil filter, change it once or twice. Consider putting in a magnetic oil drain plug. What can it hurt? It's your engine. Maybe even put on a high quality filter for particle capture. What can it possibly hurt? Or even a magnetic oil filter strap.

Just keep in mind, modern engine assembly plants have the whole mettalurgical part casting and CNC, lathe and machining, balancing & quality control issues fully in hand. Extensive concern over engine break-in is not really a topic anymore.

scrappy 04-28-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValleyRacer (Post 1082729)
If you have concerns about engine break in and attendant metal particles - just change the oil filter. For the pittance of an oil filter, change it once or twice. Consider putting in a magnetic oil drain plug. What can it hurt? It's your engine. Maybe even put on a high quality filter for particle capture. What can it possibly hurt? Or even a magnetic oil filter strap.

Just keep in mind, modern engine assembly plants have the whole mettalurgical part casting and CNC, lathe and machining, balancing & quality control issues fully in hand. Extensive concern over engine break-in is not really a topic anymore.

Did you READ the question? no where did he ask about the ENGINE, he asked about the AXLES!

OP, the manual doesn't say to change it but it does say no towing for the first 500 miles. changing it won't hurt anything, and putting a good synthetic in there might get you a little better gas mileage.

Grimass 04-28-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValleyRacer (Post 1082726)
MOPAR doesn't make any fluids or filers, they have fluid specs and have MOPAR logo put on.

Royal Purple is as fine a product line as any lubricant company in existence. Their product performance has been proven in any number of tests readily available on GOOGLE and you tube and car/truck magazines.

Limited slip additives are only to prevent "shudder" and break down quickly.

Well the manual specifically mentions the addition of an additive, which my guess is a friction modifier. I'm pretty sure they put it in there because its important... Unless perhaps manufactures get an award for "Longest Manual" and they just put stuff like that in there to extend it? Perhaps the writers get paid per word? *shrug*

LS1EB 04-29-2013 02:34 PM

Thanks for all the good information guys. I think I will change out my R&P after 1k or so to synthetic. Unfortunately I was impatient and didn't want to custom order so I didn't get a LS so no worries about the additive.