DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Need help choosing right steering parts!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140584)

Battering Ram 04-26-2013 09:05 PM

Need help choosing right steering parts!!!

Hello. I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 that needs some new steering parts. You can literally grab a tie rod, push it up and down with one finger, and make them clunk up and down. You can even hear them going around turns. I figured might as well replace the pitman arm, sleeves, and throw in some 2" steel leveling spacers while I am at it.

Now I read somebody used one ton 2500/3500 greaseable steering parts instead of original 1500 equipment. What is the best thing to do? :4-dontknow: I was originally going to just order moog replacement parts.

Thanks

Tim

the persuader 04-28-2013 07:42 PM

I just got some Duralast tie rod ends from Autozone and they have grease zerks. I'm not sure on swapping to HD parts, but there are direct replacement greaseable options out there.

FDRam01 04-28-2013 09:05 PM

What ever you do buy the best you can afford. You buy cheap you get cheap. I don't know about the HD swap but I am interested myself. Check out rockauto.com. They seem to have good prices for good brands.

Battering Ram 04-29-2013 06:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. Ill probably end up ordering greaseable parts from rockauto but here is the thread for an 2500HD swap from "merc225hp."

[IMG]http://***************/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif[/IMG]
C/P out of my files on this subject.

I upgraded my steering from the inverted "Y" system to the heavy duty crossover system or "T". The inverted "Y" setup has a couple drawbacks. First it's quite a bit weaker and second is that the toe setting will move with any change in front end height. The solid bar between the two wheels is a lot stronger and holds the tow setting spot on at all times no matter the ride height. The HD system may cause a little bump steer if a truck is lifted a lot without having a dropped pitman arm. I don't notice any bump steer with my 2" leveling kit.

I installed Moog parts from Carquest for the 1998 year (the HD system was used only in '98 and '99). Notice the size difference in the main tie rod between the wheels and the huge adjusting sleeve. Below are [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]part [COLOR=blue !important]numbers[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] for the complete setup, which should work for '94-'02 trucks. To the best of my knowledge the pitman arm taper was changed in 2000 so for '00-'02 trucks you can use all the parts listed below except for the upper drag link end, in which case you need to use p/n ES3527. Another option would be to install a pitman arm from a pre year 2000 truck. The original drag link adjusting sleeve will interchange. I went ahead and got a new one so I wouldn't have to fight the rust.

I have no clearance issues at the wheels, as some have reported, even with the 2001 8" factory alloy wheels (original wheels were 6.5" steel on this truck) and the '96 D60 axle, which was changed out because the original '98 axle was damaged in the accident this truck was in before I got it. So there you have it, a 1998 truck, 1996 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]front [COLOR=blue !important]axle[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], 2001 alloy wheels and 1998 heavy duty tie rods and it all works great.

- Drag link: DS1459
- Long tie rod (passenger side: DS1456
- Left tie [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]rod [COLOR=blue !important]end[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] (driver side): ES3496
- Drag link upper end (at pitman arm): ES3497 (ES3527 for '00-'02)
- Small adjusting sleeve (drag link): ES2012S
- Large adjusting sleeve (long tie rod): ES3498S

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1083275)
I just got some Duralast tie rod ends from Autozone and they have grease zerks. I'm not sure on swapping to HD parts, but there are direct replacement greaseable options out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDRam01 (Post 1083327)
What ever you do buy the best you can afford. You buy cheap you get cheap. I don't know about the HD swap but I am interested myself. Check out rockauto.com. They seem to have good prices for good brands.