DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Is the Y pipe worth it? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140595)

GrayhemiST 04-26-2013 09:57 PM

Is the Y pipe worth it?

Hello Everyone,

Thinking about installing the Magnaflow Y pipe and eliminating the resonators. I already have a magnaflow 14' muffler.....is it worth the time and money? Any advice appreciated. Happy Hemi day!

Scott

oldhp 04-26-2013 10:20 PM

I think, think mind you, that the factory y-pipe is designed the way it is to increase off-line torque and matched to the RPM that the engine runs 99% of the time. If I was going for better flow I would use the Flowmaster Y-Collector #Y214300. It has much better transition from 2 into 1 exhaust flow for better midrange and wide open throttle horse power. Mine, I'm leaving it stock, I like torque.

CdnoilRAM 04-26-2013 11:05 PM

While oldhp's thought have merit, if you want to start flowing more air then the y-pipe is a must. The very design of the factory y-pipe makes me cringe when I think about the compression that the heated air stream has to undergo before it vents into a much larger reservoir, killing flow velocity and increasing backpressure.

oldhp 04-27-2013 05:41 PM

I agree for better upper RPM flow you need bigger I.D. pipe. But that high compressed air velocity going into a large reservoir (3" O.D. pipe) is almost exactly like a torque pipe on motorcycle engine exhaust. They did it for reason I believe. If it caused that much of a restriction, wouldn't you think it would restrict MPG, let alone HP & torque?
I don't know tomato/tomatoe, only the exhaust/engine designers know for sure.

Grubrunner 04-27-2013 08:11 PM

Yes, I believe it's a wise investment given is relative cheap price and install.

Equally important, and worth it, is the crimped LHS bank OEM pipe that runs under the trasmission.

Bully's Performance 04-27-2013 09:08 PM

For the best results increasing AirFlow into the engine is a must for this you are going to want a larger throttle body, and preferably and Vararam or S&B, (I prefer Vararam as it shows better numbers, and IMO looks 100 times but), when this is done changing the mid pipe between the cats and the y pipe is preferred, along with the crushed y pipe, and you already have a muffler ready to go so thats good :), and of coarse a tuner with a custom tune, that is about the most you are going to get done as far as basic bolt on goes and you will not be disappointed that is for sure.

If you need pricing on anything just let me know I would be more than happy to get you the best deals around, weather it is 1 part at a time or multiple :)

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

GrayhemiST 04-27-2013 09:25 PM

Thanks to everyone for your comments with this. When Im ready to spend $$ i'll be in touch with you Jeremiah

Bully's Performance 04-27-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayhemiST (Post 1082524)
Thanks to everyone for your comments with this. When Im ready to spend $$ i'll be in touch with you Jeremiah

Sounds good I will be here :)

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

Gantman 04-27-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhp (Post 1082384)
I agree for better upper RPM flow you need bigger I.D. pipe. But that high compressed air velocity going into a large reservoir (3" O.D. pipe) is almost exactly like a torque pipe on motorcycle engine exhaust. They did it for reason I believe. If it caused that much of a restriction, wouldn't you think it would restrict MPG, let alone HP & torque?
I don't know tomato/tomatoe, only the exhaust/engine designers know for sure.

Very good comparison sir! I also think the resrictive OE "Y" after the CAT's were made to function with the MDS. A little Backpressure is good from low to midrange but wide open throttle, no backpressure obviously is best.

oldhp 04-27-2013 09:57 PM

I never thought of it that way with the MDS. Your right it would make even more sense the way it is designed.
Is anybody getting more MPG with the y-pipe modification and "not" using MDS?