DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   DOD14M/18M Interior Noise (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140596)

S77R 04-26-2013 11:06 PM

DOD14M/18M Interior Noise

Hello,
I have been doing alot of research on buying a new muffler for my 2010 CC Ram and one thing I haven't been able to get much information on is the noise inside the cab.

For those with the Mufflex DOD14M or have been in a truck with one, can you tell me if the DOD14M is too much for a daily driver. I drive my truck to work daily 1hr total trip and I really like to listen to music during the drive. I also haul my 2 young kids around in their car seats in the back (naps offen) and we also use this truck whenever we are taking trips. So would the 14" muffler be too much for all of the above? Would the noise inside the truck be too loud? Also what about the drone, would it be too much for little kids or from trips?

Is there a big difference in interior noise between the 18" and the 14" muffler. Would I be better off getting the 18" for the above reasons?

Thanks for all the help, I have done alot of reading on these and listened to many videos on youtube, but still would like to hear from others with experience that have lived with these mufflers and can offer their opinions, thanks!

BC18471 04-26-2013 11:40 PM

I have the 14 and love it. It only really gets loud when you get on the gas. It is a little louder than the 18 from what I hear. MDS isn't too bad imo.

S.C. Express 04-27-2013 02:22 AM

You need the 18" version no doubt. During normal driving with the radio volume set low and I can't hear the exhaust period.

MangoTangoMofo 04-27-2013 02:19 PM

I originally wanted the 14” Magnaflow muffler until I hopped in my buddies truck. It sounds great on the exterior but OMG does that sucker ever drone… if you’re looking at the mufflex kits I’d say definitely get the 18.

If you want just a muffler I’d recommend the 22” muffler PN# 12588. It’s the same one used in the Magnaflow Catback and it has zero drone. It uses a larger case size (5x11) vs (5x8)... That’s my 2 cents worth.

Stump3r 04-27-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoTangoMofo (Post 1082242)
I originally wanted the 14” Magnaflow muffler until I hopped in my buddies truck. It sounds great on the exterior but OMG does that sucker ever drone… if you’re looking at the mufflex kits I’d say definitely get the 18.

If you want just a muffler I’d recommend the 22” muffler PN# 12588. It’s the same one used in the Magnaflow Catback and it has zero drone. It uses a larger case size (5x11) vs (5x8)... That’s my 2 cents worth.

What Mango said!!!!
I've been doing the same research and from what I've dug up all over the place (including the local muffler shop) if you run a 5x8 muffler (regardless of make) there seems to be a whack of issues with drone. I'm going with the 12588 when I can scrape up the extra coin.

CJ.2007Ram 04-27-2013 02:52 PM

I had an old 79 3/4 ton Dodge that had major drone going on. Worked magnificently for putting the kids to sleep though.

S77R 04-28-2013 10:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep them coming. I was originally set on the 14" but now I might have to reconsider.

Flaminchiten 04-28-2013 11:15 AM

I had the exact same worries as you, although my daily commute is only about 7 minutes but the truck is used as a family car and I have a 2 year old and 4 year old now. I went with the 18, the only time it drones is when I am going around 55 heading up a hill and it doesn't downshift...easily fixed by downshifting or hitting the tow/haul button. I plan on putting on a cutout for when I'm alone and feeling radical though.

MangoTangoMofo 04-28-2013 01:08 PM

That's the hard part about picking pipes. Sound is so subjective... you really don't know until you hear it in person. All we can do is offer advice.

Flaminchfiten makes a good point though... E-Cuts are an excellent option if your feeling like shaking windows when you're in that mood but at the same time want a daily driver. I plan on doing them in the near future just for that reason. Chefred112 runs them on here and has posted tons of videos, definitely worth a search. His setup is pretty bada$$

Gantman 04-28-2013 04:41 PM

I am really happy I went with my 18" maggie mufflex. It's very nice and forgiving with drone at a bare minimum.