DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Does anyone know how to remote start with UConnect (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140699)

sailcat 04-28-2013 10:25 AM

Does anyone know how to remote start with UConnect

I did not get remote start with my truck because I read I could start it with UConnect. I have the truck 3 weeks now and the only thing I can do is to lock and unlock doors and sound the horn. Nothing in the Uconnect store for engine start. Any ideas?

CharlieL 04-28-2013 10:38 AM

It would seem to me that if you don't have remote start, you can't remote start through Uconnect either. I have remote start on my truck & do have the option displayed at the Uconnect website.

moulin6801 04-28-2013 10:52 AM

Yes, it is official, you can only use the remote start that if come with it, and you have the push start bottom in our remote control. Uconnect can only lock and unlock, or get the alarm to go off on your truck.
I have the same set on my 2013 Laramie.

sailcat 04-28-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailcat (Post 1082901)
I did not get remote start with my truck because I read I could start it with UConnect. I have the truck 3 weeks now and the only thing I can do is to lock and unlock doors and sound the horn. Nothing in the Uconnect store for engine start. Any ideas?

Say it ain't so

Drinknbuddy 04-28-2013 01:49 PM

And even if you go get the factory remote start installed now, uconnect still can't give you the option of starting the truck with the app.

Bhbdvm 04-28-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailcat (Post 1082929)
Say it ain't so

It is so . Sorry.

GTyankee 04-28-2013 06:30 PM

I watched a video with a guy using the Uconnect, to me it was pretty pitiful
he had to sign in on his phone, then insert a PIN#, then follow the instructions
then after waiting what to me was 2 minutes, he received a text that read something like remote starting procedure has been initiated
. Do you want to continue ?, he clicked yes, it read initiating, another long period of time passed, he received another text telling him that it had started, he has to go through the sign on each time it sends you a messege
If you don't open the door within a certain amount of time, it shuts itself OFF

so if you were in a building, work or home & there was a blizzard outside, it may be worth going through all that

look at this video, mostly at 1:30 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89WqWggCSU8

Explorer Rob 04-29-2013 01:57 AM

They must have greatly improved the software for Android since then since I don't have to go though any of that to start mine. I press the shortcut on my Home screen for U-connect, I press the button to start my Ram, I type my 4-digit pin, 2 minutes later my Ram starts and I get an optional text message when my Ram starts saying my ram has responded to the command. Once started, it is no different than the remote start option. You have 15 minutes to open the door or it will shut off. Kind of makes sense in case you send a remote start command and then get distracted and something comes up preventing you from leaving for several hours. Would suck to have it running in a parking lot for several hours.

Only thing I wish it would do is provide an option to honk the horn 3-times instead of turning on the alarm. Or at the very least provide an option to turn the alarm off with the app. I was trying it out at home expecting it to just honk the horn a couple of times. When it didn't shut off I had to scramble to find my keys to press the panic button to turn it back off. Usually 3 honks is sufficient for me to locate my Ram in a parking lot. I don't want my alarm going off until I get close enough to turn it off with the remote.

Bhbdvm 04-29-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer Rob (Post 1083711)
They must have greatly improved the software for Android since then since I don't have to go though any of that to start mine. I press the shortcut on my Home screen for U-connect, I press the button to start my Ram, I type my 4-digit pin, 2 minutes later my Ram starts and I get an optional text message when my Ram starts saying my ram has responded to the command. Once started, it is no different than the remote start option. You have 15 minutes to open the door or it will shut off. Kind of makes sense in case you send a remote start command and then get distracted and something comes up preventing you from leaving for several hours. Would suck to have it running in a parking lot for several hours.

Only thing I wish it would do is provide an option to honk the horn 3-times instead of turning on the alarm. Or at the very least provide an option to turn the alarm off with the app. I was trying it out at home expecting it to just honk the horn a couple of times. When it didn't shut off I had to scramble to find my keys to press the panic button to turn it back off. Usually 3 honks is sufficient for me to locate my Ram in a parking lot. I don't want my alarm going off until I get close enough to turn it off with the remote.

Your alarm shouldn't be going off unless you have set up your system for it to go off. You can turn off the horn etc. for remote start via the 8.4 radio head unit. I agree it doesn't seem that big of a deal to start it using Uconnect. I like the fact it asks for a PIN so that no one can play around with my phone and start my truck. All the messages are optional. I wouldn't want to use my phone to start my truck unless I was a fair distance away from my truck I would just use the key FOB.

JaxLoki 04-29-2013 11:02 AM

Mine doesn't work that way. I just pull up the app click the "remote start" icon and put in my 4 digit pin. 15 secs tops. Truck starts in about 45 secs from space!

[QUOTE=GTyankee;1083262]I watched a video with a guy using the Uconnect, to me it was pretty pitiful
he had to sign in on his phone, then insert a PIN#, then follow the instructions
then after waiting what to me was 2 minutes, he received a text that read something like remote starting procedure has been initiated
. Do you want to continue ?, he clicked yes, it read initiating, another long period of time passed, he received another text telling him that it had started, he has to go through the sign on each time it sends you a messege
If you don't open the door within a certain amount of time, it shuts itself OFF

so if you were in a building, work or home & there was a blizzard outside, it may be worth going through all that

look at this video, mostly at 1:30 minutes