DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Key Fob question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140727)

rango88 04-28-2013 04:41 PM

Key Fob question

I was curious, I cant see any screws on the housing so I guess the internal battery of these key fobs arent easy to reach. Are these batteries changeable? I was talking to an F150 owner he stated that the dodge keys are dumb because once the battery is dead, the whole key has to be replaced. I don't know if this is factual or just a jab at dodge's in particular (he close minded on anything not Ford or Toyota).

An interesting thought would be that the battery is automatically getting recharged when placed in the ignition but I dunno if thats possible.

Note that I am not having issues with the fob, but wondering later down the road.

spoiler 04-28-2013 06:11 PM

I dropped mine the other day and it popped open- battery exposed just like you'd expect. I snapped it back together with one click. I think when the time comes I'll just use one of those plastic trim removal tools to pry it open again.
On a related note.. I have a 96 RAM with a keyless entry and I have never replaced the batteries on that fob even once.

rango88 05-01-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoiler (Post 1083194)
I dropped mine the other day and it popped open- battery exposed just like you'd expect. I snapped it back together with one click. I think when the time comes I'll just use one of those plastic trim removal tools to pry it open again.
On a related note.. I have a 96 RAM with a keyless entry and I have never replaced the batteries on that fob even once.

Thanks for the head up :)

muddy53 05-02-2013 07:48 PM

Just an FYI, To open the FOB, pull the key out and stick the key in the end of the FOB that is now exposed and twist and gently pry the FOB open. Will open length wise.
Pull the 2 halves apart. To close, squeeze the end you put into the ignition first then squeeze it tight, should all snap together. The battery is easily assessable. double check that you don't put the new battery in backwards, easy to do. Good Luck.
PS, just had one off my POD replaced under warranty today.. It had been intermittent and they said it was ok, so I made sure it was not intermittent anymore. Nothing a 9v battery can't fix.

rango88 05-02-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy53 (Post 1087403)
Just an FYI, To open the FOB, pull the key out and stick the key in the end of the FOB that is now exposed and twist and gently pry the FOB open. Will open length wise.
Pull the 2 halves apart. To close, squeeze the end you put into the ignition first then squeeze it tight, should all snap together. The battery is easily assessable. double check that you don't put the new battery in backwards, easy to do. Good Luck.
PS, just had one off my POD replaced under warranty today.. It had been intermittent and they said it was ok, so I made sure it was not intermittent anymore. Nothing a 9v battery can't fix.

Thanks for the how to, it makes me less worried if ever the battery starts to act up :)

rango88 05-22-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy53 (Post 1087403)

when you say 9 volt battery, is that what the key fob requires or is a specialty battery?

GTyankee 05-22-2013 05:05 AM

it is like a watch battery
about the size of a thick nickel

rango88 05-22-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 1104576)
it is like a watch battery
about the size of a thick nickel

Thanks, I guess it doesnt have a serial number to go by?

I'm just asking since my brother's key fob battery died at 89,000 kms/56,000 miles so I might look to replace mine soon.

ramit355 06-22-2013 09:42 AM

Any one know if the FOB will have to be reprogrammed if you leave the battery out for any lengh of time?

Grubrunner 06-22-2013 09:49 AM

Below's a link for the battery swap on the keyfobs someone posted recently.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Dodge-Ram-1500-Key-Fob-Battery-Replacement-Guide/index.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramit355 (Post 1131885)
Any one know if the FOB will have to be reprogrammed if you leave the battery out for any lengh of time?

Vehicle battery or keyfob's battery?

I don't believe an unattended keyfob [from battery] will effect it's tunning or memory abilities.