DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram R/T (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Did Dodge stop making the RAM R/T? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140818)

RammD 04-29-2013 10:54 AM

Did Dodge stop making the RAM R/T?

I met a guy who has worked at a local Dodge Dealer for many years who told me Dodge stopped making the Ram R/T's as they were too costly to produce. I know I've read posts on here where people are talking about 2013 R/T Rams so I'm wondering if maybe Dodge just stopped making as many of the R/T's as they were and if they are just focusing on specific markets?

I can say that I've had my 2010 RAM R/T for 3 years and I've NEVER.....EVER seen another one on the road! I get questions, stares, and compliments on mine all the time. I'm in Southern Cali if that makes any difference. Anyway, i'm just curious if Dodge has cut back production on the R/T's and are just focusing in certain areas or if 2013 is the absolute last year they're gonna make the Ram R/T?

dodgert 04-29-2013 11:28 AM

No they are still making them

Grubrunner 04-29-2013 11:58 AM

I hear what you're saying. I can count on one hand the number of RT's I've seen over the years.

But when I do, I have to reach for a Kleenex.

Brians RT 04-29-2013 12:48 PM

I just picked up my R/T a month ago. I dont think they make many. I wonder how many they make a year?

RammD 04-29-2013 01:10 PM

Yeah it's definitely interesting. This guy has worked at Dodge for many years but he may of gotten some misinformation. He was adamant the cost to produce the R/T was much higher then most of the other fleet of Dodge Trucks. I own an R/T and can see how that would definitely be true.

I'm thinking he's right on the cost to produce the R/T but clearly (as you all have stated) they're still manufacturing them in some quantity. Whatever the quantity is, they are definitely limited. I'm in Southern Cali and nothing at all comes up anywhere around me for Ram R/T's. So i'm thinking maybe Dodge is focusing on specific markets and sending most of the R/T Ram's to those markets. I know the majority of people that own R/T's on this forum seem to be in Canada, so I wouldn't doubt that's DCX's main market for Ram RT's.

On the other hand, there are Ram 1500 Expresses all over the place by the dozens. Of course when comparing the Express to an R/T...well...there is no comparison. :hah:

ejb426 04-29-2013 01:43 PM

I have been trying to order a '13 Ram R/T for almost 2 months now. I think your market specific theory is correct. There are only like 8 or 9 for sale in the whole state of Indiana. O have found them mostly in TN, NC, and TX. I am afraid only certain dealers even have access to them.

snrusnak 04-29-2013 01:57 PM

Being that you can get an express significantly cheaper than an RT, I think the express is stealing sales from the RT. I know they are not the same, but the main differences are bells and whistles and that's pretty much it.

My friend has an RT and it's a nice truck but he admits if he would have known the express was coming out in a few months he would have bought it instead.

Rambunkshuss 04-29-2013 02:56 PM

The price of the R/T trucks usually dictates the sale of them.
An Express with a R/T badge in the grill looks the same as a real R/T @ 60mph.
(with exception to the hood, & cheap plastic chrome 22inch rim covers on the R/T)

So, is the real R/T trucks worth the extra money they want for them...??? Nope, not to me. I dont see the point in spending ALOT more money for: a challenger looking hood, a higher stall torque convertor, 4.10 gears in a shortbox 2 wheel drive truck & worthless 22inch tires and cheap garbage plastic "cladded" wheel covers. (mine pitted/corroded/peeled the first year, chrysler wouldnt do anything to fix them either) And also not to mention, ther are hardly any decent selection of tires for this R/T truck either. Ther are R/T trucks sitting on dealer lots here, they aren`t selling very many of them here. When people see the price tags, they opt for the hemi express 99.9 out of 100 times. When it comes down to the R/T trucks, they`re over priced, not much of a market for them. It really wouldnt surprise me at all if they did discontinue them soon, BUT, yes, they are still making them.

ejb426 04-29-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 1084057)
Being that you can get an express significantly cheaper than an RT, I think the express is stealing sales from the RT. I know they are not the same, but the main differences are bells and whistles and that's pretty much it.

My friend has an RT and it's a nice truck but he admits if he would have known the express was coming out in a few months he would have bought it instead.

The biggest thing for me about the R/T is the nicer interior amenities. I like the full center console with floor shifter, 8.4 touchscreen, 4.10 gears, the IP cluster with the 7" TFT display, keyless enter n go, and I am sure there are a few more I am forgetting. :smileup:

snrusnak 04-29-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

The biggest thing for me about the R/T is the nicer interior amenities. I like the full center console with floor shifter, 8.4 touchscreen, 4.10 gears, the IP cluster with the 7" TFT display, keyless enter n go, and I am sure there are a few more I am forgetting.
Yeah just depends on the person. Like I said, it's all bells and whistles. I personally actually would prefer column shift and bench seat. I don't know what a 8.4 touchscreen, IP cluster, or 7" TFT display are. My SLT has the nicest radio I've ever had in a car with cd/sirius satellite radio/aux input(and I think it's the "worst" radio they offer). 4.10 gears and the converter yes I'd like to have, but not for the price tag.

I don't even like the sport APPEARANCE hood either, looks good on the cars but personally think it looks a bit odd on the truck. I also don't like leather. The cloth and vinyl are nice, the vinyl is actually REALLY nice looking, I wish I had it in my SLT instead of the cloth.

I'm not usually a fan of large wheels, but I do like the 22" wheels, they are sharp, but tires are surely pricey...