DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   upgrade OEM head unit (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=14082)

Excoastie 08-09-2008 08:25 AM

upgrade OEM head unit

Hello everyone. I've been watching several OEM radios on eBay that are about half the price of what the dealer wants. I'm looking to upgrade my factory head unit, I've currently got the 'base model' that includes the serius, and I added the U-connect as a factory add on....

I'm looking to replace my unit with the 'middle of the road' radio offered. It's the one that came with the Infinity system, but without the navigation (I'd love to get the navigation, but can't bring myself to spend $1K+).

OK, back to my question.... Anyone out there that can give me the 3 digit factory code? You know the one I mean, it's written in tiny letters right below/ above the right hand knob.... I think mine is "REF" I think the one that I'm looking for is "REQ" but I'm not sure...

thanks

Exco

tweety 11-15-2008 08:03 PM

is the U-connect just part of the rear view mirror & roof console? I mean is the truck prewired for? or a totally diff radio set up and mirror. I'd like to add the u-connect to my truck but not sure whats involved.

grey06hemi4x4 11-16-2008 11:33 AM

cant be to much good luck

DRINKINGBEAR151 11-21-2008 10:15 AM

Sorry i dont know anything about the oem stereos. Which is actually why im looking to replace mine with an aftermarket radio. Does anyone know how to take the front dash panel off of an 04 ram 1500 quad cab? I dont see any screws and i dont want to try and pry it off unless that is the only way.

Unbridled 11-21-2008 02:13 PM

Crutchfield used to have instructions on their website for different models but I'm not sure if they still do. I *think* It's a pry off deal but I'm not positive. If it is a pry off deal, make sure you do it on a warm day or run the heater for a while so it's warm. That makes is less likely to crack.

NAV-TV 12-19-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excoastie (Post 14611)
Hello everyone. I've been watching several OEM radios on eBay that are about half the price of what the dealer wants. I'm looking to upgrade my factory head unit, I've currently got the 'base model' that includes the serius, and I added the U-connect as a factory add on....

I'm looking to replace my unit with the 'middle of the road' radio offered. It's the one that came with the Infinity system, but without the navigation (I'd love to get the navigation, but can't bring myself to spend $1K+).

OK, back to my question.... Anyone out there that can give me the 3 digit factory code? You know the one I mean, it's written in tiny letters right below/ above the right hand knob.... I think mine is "REF" I think the one that I'm looking for is "REQ" but I'm not sure...

thanks

Exco

REF AND REQ ARE Eurpoean versions of the mygig. You need a rer or ren version of the mygig. The standard navigation non mygig is rec
Ren mygig do not have bluetooth or navigation capabilites. Spend the extra $$$ and go for the full blown mygig rer version

chithead 01-09-2009 11:55 AM

I am pretty sure the owner's manual covers every radio, and has the letter codes listed for each one. I remember it when learning how to use the Sirius on mine. If need be, I can check my manual for you.

erm 01-09-2009 07:23 PM

RER is the MyGig of choice for sure. REC is the non-MyGig unit with NAV and Sirius if I'm not mistaken.