DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Should I do a transmission fluid/filter change? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140821)

Hank426 04-29-2013 11:12 AM

Should I do a transmission fluid/filter change?

Ok so I bought the truck with 100k miles on it and it now has almost 120K. My question is, is it still safe to change the two filters in the transmission and the 6-7 quarts of fluid? It's a 545 btw.

also I've heard that I shouldn't change the round filter seal and just leave the old one in? and that I should only use the mopar filters, only problem is I already bought the WIX filter kit (58843). One more thing, if it is safe to change, should I use the supplied rubber pan gasket or use rtv?

Thanks

snrusnak 04-29-2013 01:09 PM

I would think that mileage is fine to go ahead and change.

I wouldn't replace that rubber seal for the "flat" filter. If not installed properly it will damage the transmission. It shouldn't need replaced anyway, it is submerged in fluid at all times, it's not like it's dry rotted, etc.

I use the rubber gaskets just for ease at next service. But the rubber will crack, etc. Mine is cracked to hell with just about 25k miles on it although it doesn't leak.

If you already bought the WIX then I'd use it.

SI Integra 05-02-2013 10:56 AM

I just did this on my 02' a couple days ago it took about 1.5 hours from start to finish. I opted for the rtv (ultra grey) sealed up nice and i have been using the stuff for years with great results. Just let the rtv dry before you start the truck up :)

TransEngineer 05-03-2013 10:35 AM

We have seen problems with some of the WIX spin-on filters in the past, so be aware that if you use that filter you might have converter drainback issues. The likelihood is probably small, and a bad filter will not damage your trans, you just might have to replace it again if you have problems.

If you use the WIX filter, and afterwards you experience: (1) on cold starts, trans seems to "ooze" slowly into gear (first engagement only), or (2) after a cold start, truck tries to lunge and you have to mash the brake pedal to hold it, then you probably have a bad spin-on filter. So if that happens, just change it out again and use a Mopar filter.

Hank426 05-18-2013 08:13 PM

Thank you very much for the advice guys... anyone know the Mopar part number for the spin on filter? Thanks again

TransEngineer 05-18-2013 10:08 PM

The spin-on filter is 05179267AC.

kittpowell1 05-19-2013 09:03 PM

when is the recommended milage to flush and change all tranny fluids?

02 Ram 05-19-2013 09:05 PM

owners manual will have that in it

SI Integra 05-22-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittpowell1 (Post 1102622)
when is the recommended milage to flush and change all tranny fluids?

That is a trick question :)
It really depends how you utilize your truck. If tow, haul, or drive hard you will want to change that fluid much sooner. I know people that change trans fluid every 20k, others that stick with 45-60 and then some that have never changed it...
Personally 60k is a good number on a daily drive normal truck.

just my .02

msorbara10 05-22-2013 08:17 PM

I will be looking to do this sometime soon also. Is there a link where I can get the filters I need to do this change?