DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Skid plates (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140844)

Shooterjim 04-29-2013 04:21 PM

Skid plates

My new 4X4, CC Express didn't come with skid plates and I was wondering if anyone in the forum knows of a business that makes them aftermarket or would I be better off getting them from the dealer?:4-dontknow: I don't anticipate a lot of heavy duty off road operation but want to have the protection if I do.:doh: If getting them from the dealer, would they be a bolt in installation?

I'm a first time Ram buyer and have read about different generations of the truck. Could someone enlighten me as to what this means?:4-dontknow: Thanks and happy driving.................:wavey:

turbohawk 04-29-2013 04:41 PM

Hey Shooterjim! You beat me to the same question...let me know if you find out anything great outside of answers here. :popc1:

gonefishin776 04-29-2013 04:45 PM

google is your best friend for both of these questions really.

I think there is a Wikipedia that explains the ram generations.

2009-present: 4th gen
2002-2008: 3rd gen (although 2002-2005 and 2006-2008 have some significant differences)
1994-2001: 2nd gen
1961-1993 and earlier: 1st gen

Brandon .30-06 04-29-2013 05:04 PM

Yes it should be a bolt on thing. I know with the sport it is, give me you vin and i will run it on dealerconnect to see if it can be ordered on your truck

Eric32688 04-29-2013 06:51 PM

I installed the factory skid plates on my 13' express about a month ago, it was an easy install and I'm glad I put them on. At the very least they help protect the electronic power steering unit and the electronic transfer case shift solenoid from any kind of road debris. I have part numbers for the 2 skids plus the cross member if you like.

Also, the holes are already punched at the mounting areas, but they are not yet threaded. The factory used M8x1.25x30mm bolts, but in reality you can use whatever comparable size you want that you have a tap for.

UpToNoGood 04-29-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric32688 (Post 1084322)
I installed the factory skid plates on my 13' express about a month ago, it was an easy install and I'm glad I put them on. At the very least they help protect the electronic power steering unit and the electronic transfer case shift solenoid from any kind of road debris. I have part numbers for the 2 skids plus the cross member if you like.

Also, the holes are already punched at the mounting areas, but they are not yet threaded. The factory used M8x1.25x30mm bolts, but in reality you can use whatever comparable size you want that you have a tap for.

How much did they cost?

RyanJM 04-29-2013 11:04 PM

They do work. Mine already have some battle scars and I wouldn't say I do any heady duty off roading.

turbohawk 04-29-2013 11:11 PM

Definitely going to want skid plates. Are the factory units steel and pretty heavy duty? What do they run pricewise? I'm kinda confused about the "not threaded", does that mean we need to do some tapping to install them?

Eric32688 04-30-2013 12:50 AM

I was fairly impressed with the skids after I ordered them, they are a good thickness and provide good protection against bumps and scrapes. Here are the part numbers:

Skid plate (You'll need 2) = 68089777AB
Cross Member (1) = 52022046AG

I paid a total of about $100 after shipping. In reality I thought it was all pretty cheap, and I just went to my local Lowes for the right size grade 8 bolt.

In regards to turbohawk, yes you'll need to tap the holes. But on the good side you wont need to mark and drill; the hole is there but it is to small and is un-threaded. Hopefully that makes sense.

Also if any of you guys want any pictures, I'll be more than happy to go take of few when it's daylight.

Shooterjim 04-30-2013 01:45 AM

Re: skid plates

Thanks for the reply and part #'s.:smileup: I will go and check with the dealer on my next day off. Luckily, my son works at the dealership where I bought the truck so I get his discount.:smiley_thumbs_up: I'll try to post some pix after installing them if I can. At the very least, it will be good protection for the steering and transfer case electronics.:smileup: