DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2000 3500 has scary rear brakes, will it stop or not? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140872)

Big Dog 2008 04-29-2013 09:51 PM

2000 3500 has scary rear brakes, will it stop or not?

I work for an excavation company that has a 2000 3500 with a full size utility tool box. This truck has been to the dealer 6 times and still has issues. The way I understand it, the rear brakes are to engage first. This truck does it backwards
and gets our pucker factor going. Could there be an issue with the hydroboost system or proportioning valve if it has one. All the brakes and components are brand new and the abs seems to be working as it should.

huntergreen 05-01-2013 11:09 AM

that sounds backwards to me., but i am not a mechanic. my 04 3500 cummins went through front brakes before the rear.

gonefishin776 05-01-2013 11:16 AM

Idk if it's different for big trucks but i think it's front brakes activate before/more than rear.

huntergreen 05-01-2013 11:17 AM

also, i doubt i would drive a vehicle if i wasn't sure if it was going to stop or not.

dodge man 05-01-2013 05:02 PM

I don't get it, as far as I know, the brakes are suppose to engage at the same time, but as a rule the front brakes do more work.

huntergreen 05-02-2013 12:23 AM

maybe ram tech will jump in and give you some expert advice.

RadioFlyer 05-02-2013 12:48 AM

It makes sense to me that the back brakes would lock up first because of the heavy utiliy box. If the front brakes locked up first maybe they would slide because of the weight from the utiliy bed. If you had a heavy boat behind you and only had front brakes you'd be in big trouble. Back breaks with a heavy rearend would most likely be better. I don't know what do you guys think about that? Must be the reason for being bass ackwards.

gonefishin776 05-02-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodge man (Post 1086267)
I don't get it, as far as I know, the brakes are suppose to engage at the same time, but as a rule the front brakes do more work.

ya that's what I've heard too. It's a percentage...like front brakes do say 70% of the work and rear do 30% (just makin up numbers here)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioFlyer (Post 1086814)
It makes sense to me that the back brakes would lock up first because of the heavy utiliy box. If the front brakes locked up first maybe they would slide because of the weight from the utiliy bed. If you had a heavy boat behind you and only had front brakes you'd be in big trouble. Back breaks with a heavy rearend would most likely be better. I don't know what do you guys think about that? Must be the reason for being bass ackwards.

but this makes sense too, that's why I wasn't sure for heavy duty trucks

dodge man 05-02-2013 11:01 AM

The entire idea of ABS brakes is to get maximum braking from both the front and rear brakes when you put the brake pedal to the floor. I'm guessing the OP's problem is for more normal braking. It could be the normal brake bias isn't set up the way they want it. It could also be an issue with the hydroboost. It could also be a sticky caliper or a bad one, air in system, etc. I put rebuilt calipers on the back of my truck and one was defective. So far, my hydroboost system has been fine, but I've read that they can be a problem.

snrusnak 05-02-2013 12:41 PM

The brakes are "activated" at the same time. The front brakes get the majority of the braking force. Most vehicles(trucks especially) will lock up the rear wheels first in a hard stop due to weight shifting off the rear onto the front(and trucks already are light in the rear). Most newer trucks have abs only in the rear. I'm not sure about what the 2000 would have as far as abs.