DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   2013 2500 diesel check engine light (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140955)

Gttnallican 04-30-2013 08:47 PM

2013 2500 diesel check engine light

So i haven't had a chance to go and get it checked out, but my check engine light is already on at 3100 miles. Anyone else had this issue

CdnoilRAM 04-30-2013 09:54 PM

Until you find out what the code is it could be anything. ESL comes on for anything from clogged EGR to catastrophic engine failure; kinda have to know what the code is before you start getting upset.

nikeman 04-30-2013 09:57 PM

I've had a check engine light cone on for my radiator cap not being on tight (old car). It's probably nothing but if it is something it's covered under warranty.

brtex 06-02-2013 05:44 PM

2013 Ram 2500 Check Engine Light Issues

I've had my 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie for almost 3 weeks now and it's been in the shop twice for the check engine light. The first time, they "flashed" it and said it was fixed. Came on again 2 days later. Went into shop again for 2 days and they basically said Dodge knows its a problem, but have not issued a fix for it yet, nor a recall. Says its a computer issue that they haven't issued an update for. Told me to take it home and drive it. Came on again next day - going back to shop tomorrow. Now remote start doesn't work either - starts and then shuts off in a couple seconds. Great experience so far...only 2600 miles on truck. Clearly they have some bugs to work out. Good luck.

grover037 06-03-2013 07:53 PM

I just purchased a 2500 diesel a couple of weeks ago and I just received the check engine light...Going tomorrow to the dealership to check it out... If its just thanks for the info.

brtex 06-08-2013 10:15 PM

Check Engine Light

so what did you find out about the light when you took it in???

Salt And Vinegar 06-09-2013 10:42 PM

More often than not its the "wait to start" code that gets thrown if you don't wait for the glow signal to terminate before cranking it over. It applies to hot and cold engine starts. Also aftermarket remote starters will throw this code from time to time.

brtex 06-12-2013 09:26 AM

Mine's related to the P2459 - diesel particulate filter regeneration. They just don't know how to fix it.

Salt And Vinegar 06-12-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtex (Post 1123201)
Mine's related to the P2459 - diesel particulate filter regeneration. They just don't know how to fix it.

Better off to delete it :smiley_thumbs_up:

BeaverNation 06-14-2013 11:57 AM

So last night this same thing happened to me. I just rolled over the 900.1 mile mark and this check engine light is on. I remember back in the day, my dads 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel had the same issue. he was in California working, so I called up the dealership and spoke with the shop... the guy asked me if I was driving on highway or city. I said city. He told me to head out to the freeway and get it up to 65-70mpg for a while and let the engine "do what it was built to do".. I did it that night, went on a mini road trip and on my way back home, the light went off. it happend about 2 months later and I did the same steps...and the light went off.

Curious if I should take my truck down the freeway a bit and see if that flushes the light OR is it best to take it back to Dodge and have them confirm the issue before I am stranded on the interstate?