DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   S/B CAI w/dry filter and scoop VS Vararam Air Grabber???? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140979)

satan47 05-01-2013 02:40 AM

S/B CAI w/dry filter and scoop VS Vararam Air Grabber????

I am having a tough time deciding which one of these CAI is gonna be best for me. I recently put on a lift and 35's and i would like to get my mpg and performance back to where it was with stock height and wheels. I have a 18" magnaflow muffler and the maganflow Y pipe with the pipes between the cats and the muffler re-done with mandrel bends and an 87mm Moes TB. i only run 91 fuel and have a 2013 with 3.55's but will be putting in 4.10's within the next year. i am not sure if i will be going with a tuner or not yet, possibly down the road.

Anyone whos had experience with these is welcome to give any advice you can!! thanks!!!

TheSatinPumpkin 05-01-2013 09:38 AM

cheapest one imo but the S&B makes access to the engine easier vs the Vararam.

NGARAM77 05-01-2013 09:05 PM

I am considering the both of these too. Both of them have great names and reputations on this forum. I know the performance that you are looking for is probably going to come from the tune and gears, but breathing better will not hurt anything at all. What I want to know is if anyone has had any problems with water leakage with the vararam? I am sure that it compresses to the hood, but with the good chance of me gettin into a mud hole I do not want to take any chances. Also, I have the sport hood, would the vararam still match up to the hood?

dodgert 05-01-2013 09:15 PM

Id rather use a k&n the s&b just looks cheap i have the k&n in mine and love it but out of the 2 you picked id go with the varam

05ram 05-02-2013 07:28 PM

S&B looks cheap??????? Which one are you looking at, the ones for the 3rd and 4th gen rams look way better than the K&N's. S&B w/scoop 1st, Volant 2nd, Vararam 3rd. Had a Vararam on my 3rd gen and sent it back. IMO.............

brandonjansen 05-02-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05ram (Post 1087375)
S&B looks cheap??????? Which one are you looking at, the ones for the 3rd and 4th gen rams look way better than the K&N's.

+1 on that!! I can honestly say the K&N CAI kit for the 4th gen Rams is the cheapest looking one I've seen! S&B is probably the nicest looking one out there.

The Vararam is going to give you better HP and torque numbers than the S&B no question. Honestly the S&B probably won't give you any noticeable gains. They will be very minimal if anything.

Now for the tuner!! It is by far the BEST option to help get your power and fuel economy closer to stock. It will actually give you noticeable gains all around. That's something you should definitely be considering right away. With your throttle body and exhaust the whitelightning custom tune would be a great choice for you. Contact Jeremiah or Andrew and Discount Auto Performance to get the best pricing. They'll hook you up.

Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@discountautoperformance
Andrew: fastNugly@discountautoperformance

I'd also recommend 4.56 gears as well. If you're going to go through the hassle of changing gears you might as well do it right and go big!

cal45 05-02-2013 09:03 PM

I went with the S&B and really like it. No way does it look "cheap".

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9012/sb1n.jpg

05ram 05-03-2013 12:17 AM

Nice setup there.................

Bully's Performance 05-03-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1087385)
+1 on that!! I can honestly say the K&N CAI kit for the 4th gen Rams is the cheapest looking one I've seen! S&B is probably the nicest looking one out there.

The Vararam is going to give you better HP and torque numbers than the S&B no question. Honestly the S&B probably won't give you any noticeable gains. They will be very minimal if anything.

Now for the tuner!! It is by far the BEST option to help get your power and fuel economy closer to stock. It will actually give you noticeable gains all around. That's something you should definitely be considering right away. With your throttle body and exhaust the whitelightning custom tune would be a great choice for you. Contact Jeremiah or Andrew and Discount Auto Performance to get the best pricing. They'll hook you up.

Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@discountautoperformance
Andrew: fastNugly@discountautoperformance

I'd also recommend 4.56 gears as well. If you're going to go through the hassle of changing gears you might as well do it right and go big!

I agree 100$ pretty much, I think the S&B's look ok however like you said the gains are barely noticeable when compared to the Vararam, With the Vararam you will get the most power out of any CAI currently on the market :)

And on top of that we just kicked off a new promo where all forum member get a very nice discount, and a chance to get either their full purchase refunded to there payment method, or $400 in store credit! Check it out Vararam GIVE AWAY/Group Buy

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

satan47 05-03-2013 12:40 PM

i appreciate everyones opinions. i went with the S/B and after reading all these posts i almost already regret it and i havent even put it on yet. oh well, i wil check it out and if i dont like it you guys will see it for sale in the classifieds in the next couple weeks when i order the vararam. i went with this one since im not gonna be racing the truck, since its lifted and all and i also was hearing that the vararam may be flimsy under the hood. but in the end i am not buying this for looks since it is gonna be under the hood and is meant to provide performance. guess i'll wait and see how it works out. i will post this weekend since it will be installed with my throttle body tonight. my exhaust additions are not on yet so i will have to make a decision to keep or not once i get that stuff welded on. thanks again guys.:smileup: