DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Keyless entry question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141119)

nikeman 05-02-2013 03:10 PM

Keyless entry question

Ill have the keyless entry with the button on the handles. I'm wondering how close the key has to be before it will let you open the door. I know I can use the key button from pretty far away so I'm hoping the button on the door is a lot less sensitive. I'd hate for people to be able to get in my truck in my drive way if my keys are inside by the front door or something!

sowardcustoms 05-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikeman (Post 1087198)
Ill have the keyless entry with the button on the handles. I'm wondering how close the key has to be before it will let you open the door. I know I can use the key button from pretty far away so I'm hoping the button on the door is a lot less sensitive. I'd hate for people to be able to get in my truck in my drive way if my keys are inside by the front door or something!

About 5 feet from the door...

shaner82 05-02-2013 03:21 PM

Like sowardcustoms said, it's about 4-6 feet. It seems to vary a little bit, but mine typically stops working after about 5 feet, sometimes 6 at the most. What's also neat about the system is that if my keys are inside the truck (even sitting 6 inches away from the door) my truck will not allow me to lock the doors. No matter what method I try, I cannot lock the keys in the truck, it won't allow it. It's neat how it senses the keys are inside.

nikeman 05-02-2013 03:43 PM

Good. So I'd be within punching distance if someone opened my door. Lol

Jake95 05-02-2013 04:47 PM

You will be fine in your house

UpToNoGood 05-02-2013 05:59 PM

I can open the drivers door and the wife can't open the passenger door unless she has her key on her person.

Cookie Monster 05-02-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpToNoGood (Post 1087342)
I can open the drivers door and the wife can't open the passenger door unless she has her key on her person.

Well be a gentalman and make sure she has her keys on her person.

nikeman 05-03-2013 02:51 PM

Another question arose now. When me and the wife go somewhere she likes to leave her purse in the truck usually with her keys in it. With the new truck will this mean someone could just get in the truck and drive off even if I lock it with my key? Will she have to bring her keys with her for now on?

bigbody 05-03-2013 04:21 PM

I could not unlock my truck form the pass side when the key was on the drivers side of the truck in my wife's hands, also have locked my extra key in the truck( right after purchase on the way home) and wasn't able to unlock from the key being in the truck, I have to be pretty close to the door to unlock it with the handle

firemarshallvin 05-03-2013 04:21 PM

I'd venture to say that you probably wouldn't get that far and won't be able to lock the truck with her key inside. I have same setup on my Inifiniti now, but can honestly say that I don't recall my wife ever leaving her key inside. In any case, it is still a key and even if you could lock the truck, if someone did break in, it would make there efforts of driving off that much easier.