DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   4.7 upgrades? Recommendations? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141143)

Moparman485 05-02-2013 08:45 PM

4.7 upgrades? Recommendations?

Hello All!
I am brand new to the 4.7 engine (so new in fact that the truck is not titled in my name yet haha), and I have a few questions on her. After having done a lot of research on the engines in the newer dodges, 02 and newer that is, i finally found one i could afford. Ive got an 2002 quadcab, 2wd, auto, 4.7 pickup. I got a heck of a deal on it because it was a "fleet truck" to an extent that had the motor rebuilt about 25k miles ago (standard oil pump issues). I am coming from a 2001 ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.9, so I am sure I will see some power difference in the red, (but Ive got my 73 Dart with a hopped up engine for power). I was mainly just wanting a clean running, reliable, lower mileage, functional truck that got tolerable mpg's. That being said, i was wondering if any of yall have any pointers about the 4.7 in terms of preventative maintenance, performance upgrades, little tricks. stuff like that. i figured just asking a blanket question could very well save me a lot of problems and trial and error down the road. I know its not going to be a powerful as the 5.7, im just looking for any upgrades yall have found to be actually beneficial. the truck is currently bone stock, so it is a truly blank slate!
Any answers are greatly appreciated!
JB

HemiLonestar 05-03-2013 01:40 AM

Programmer, better gears (higher numerical ratio), better exhaust.

Moparman485 05-03-2013 10:45 AM

That is somewhat what I was thinking. I have always put duals on every vehicle i have owned and never looked back. Are there any certain "types" of mufflers that give a good rumble without being "ricey"? the last thing I want to do is have my Dodge sounding like a v6 chevy with open pipes... I know that flowmaster 40 series on my 5.9 sound great, but being a smaller engine I was curious if anyone has found a "rumble" that sounds good from a different kind, or had run-ins with some bad combinations

HemiLonestar 05-03-2013 04:06 PM

I'm not partial to Flowmasters myself, to me it makes every engine sound like a late 80's 5.0 Mustang...plus I've heard a bunch of people say they rust out badly. Magnaflow seems to have some good rumble, but I've heard mixed reviews about drone at certain rpm's. I have a Borla kit, it's noticeable but a bit quieter and I don't get any drone.

02 Ram 05-03-2013 04:18 PM

ive got a flowmaster on mine (PO had it installed) it is rusting out. heres a vid of what it sounds like

quick exhaust vid - YouTube

quick exhaust vid - YouTube

Moparman485 05-04-2013 01:30 AM

Ok, thanks! I've seen some flows rust out, but never on my vehicles. I like the magnaflows and the flow masters equally. Just didn't know if anyone had advice on way or the other. I will prolly go with magnaflow simply because now that I think of it I haven't ever seen them rust out. Any experience with cold air/Spectre filters/k&n filters? I've found the Spectre filters to be surprisingly good, but maybe y'all have experience to the contrary or better knowledge of em

starquestbd22 05-04-2013 09:40 AM

I had a Flowmaster Super 44 on my old 06 4.7L Ram for a year before swapping it out for an 18" Magnaflow. I was extremely happy with the swap. The MF sounded better IMO and I also could swear I felt a very slight performance boost.

If you like the FM sound then go FM but otherwise MF is a better overall muffler. All stainless construction and a straight-through design. Dynomax seems to be very comparable to the MF as well and I have also heard good things about Borla.

I don't have anything to offer you on the intake but please keep us updated on what you decide as I have been considering one myself.

Twinkeys0816 05-05-2013 06:13 PM

i just had my truck too for 6 months now and here's what i did: i changed the spark plugs, i replaced the pcv valve. did the fuel system thru a shop(got a better throttle response after and a noticable mpg gain) although i wish i did it myself and save a few extra bucks. did the oil change too myself. before i did all this i was getting 450-460k a tank now im at 510-520. then the modding starts ;). hope this helps and good luck with your new truck.

mbennett 05-08-2013 01:24 PM

Hey moparman I'm from Norman also. I have a 08 ram 4.7
I had performance put a turned down 50 series flow on mine sounds great.
Message me and we could meet up if you want to here why it's sounds like before you spend the money.

mr.318 05-12-2013 02:19 PM

I just put a flowmaster 44 0n my 04 4.7 with dual pipes out the rear, One of the best sounding trucks I've ever had.Mine has the 5spd. trans.which makes it sound better.But I was getting 20 m.p.g in town before after the duals i'm only getting 19 just saying might be my foot