DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   How long should I wait before I wax my new truck? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141186)

jewill4 05-03-2013 10:14 AM

How long should I wait before I wax my new truck?
 
Truck build date was completed 3/22. Someone said 6 months for fresh paint but that seems long to me. Especially since this week I started squashing 100's of bugs and they don't come off easy without a fresh coat of wax. Any knowledge of Chrysler recommendation on this?

JaxLoki 05-03-2013 10:17 AM

No knowledge of what Chrysler recommends, but my service department is throwing on paint sealant and undercoating this morning and the truck is just three days old.

Asur 05-03-2013 10:21 AM

Paint is baked and cured at the factory, don't wait, clean it, and wax it, polymer waxes are great. Check Adams or Zaino brothers.

shaner82 05-03-2013 10:29 AM

Do it right away

Irv 05-03-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaner82 (Post 1088153)
Do it right away

Agree, and what I plan on doing as soon as my truck comes in.

If time is permitting, I will also go over my truck with a Clay Bar before applying the wax.

I plan on using Colinite 845 Insulator wax on my new truck, I used it on my current truck when new and use it on other things as well, (boat sled, etc) and by far, it is the longest lasting best wax I have ever used.:smileup:

shaner82 05-03-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 1088231)
Agree, and what I plan on doing as soon as my truck comes in.

If time is permitting, I will also go over my truck with a Clay Bar before applying the wax.

I plan on using Colinite 845 Insulator wax on my new truck, I used it on my current truck when new and use it on other things as well, (boat sled, etc) and by far, it is the longest lasting best wax I have ever used.:smileup:

I used a clay bar on mine almost immediately and it was pointless. The clay bar got nothing off at all as there was nothing to get off. By all means, but you'll probably get the same results I did.

Irv 05-03-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaner82 (Post 1088232)
I used a clay bar on mine almost immediately and it was pointless. The clay bar got nothing off at all as there was nothing to get off. By all means, but you'll probably get the same results I did.

I'll try the hood or roof and if nothing is there then I'll skip the rest of the truck.
Thanks for the heads up. :smileup:

shaner82 05-03-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 1088243)
I'll try the hood or roof and if nothing is there then I'll skip the rest of the truck.
Thanks for the heads up. :smileup:

That's what I did. I did one side of the truck and even after claying the bottom parts of the doors where most of the gunk builds up, there was absolutely nothing. I didn't bother doing the rest of the truck. I've heard talk about rail dust being on vehicles, but there sure wasn't any on mine, at least not any that came off (or if it did, it was invisible, and I'm okay with invisible objects being on my paint lol).

Good luck

Pull Ya 05-03-2013 01:03 PM

IMHO I think claying a new vehicle is time well spent. You are creating the foundation that everything else is going to go on top of and I want to make sure I am starting with a CLEAN surface. My suggestion would be after you clay check for small scratches the clay might have left and if so I'd use a good quality polish to polish them out. Then use a good sealant as a base coat then top it with a good quality wax, such as Collinite 845, which you are already using. With the addition of the sealant you should not have to rewax or reseal for 6 or 7 months, depending on how often you wash your truck and whether you leave it inside or outside all the time. There are many different options and I'm sure others will chime in and give you their own opinion of the process to use and the products they believe are the best.
Jay

primo spaghetti 05-04-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull Ya (Post 1088292)
IMHO I think claying a new vehicle is time well spent. You are creating the foundation that everything else is going to go on top of and I want to make sure I am starting with a CLEAN surface. My suggestion would be after you clay check for small scratches the clay might have left and if so I'd use a good quality polish to polish them out. Then use a good sealant as a base coat then top it with a good quality wax, such as Collinite 845, which you are already using. With the addition of the sealant you should not have to rewax or reseal for 6 or 7 months, depending on how often you wash your truck and whether you leave it inside or outside all the time. There are many different options and I'm sure others will chime in and give you their own opinion of the process to use and the products they believe are the best.
Jay

this is good advice...dont look at claying as a waste of time.

a good way to check if you need to clay is put a plastic baggie on your fingertips and gently rub the paint...this helps emphasize your tactile response. if it is gritty or grabby, you have contaminants on the paint, use clay...try the same spot after claying and it will be dead smooth.

you can also get a product called ironx if youre worried about rail dust, or the clay marring your paint. it does a great job of cleaning the contaminants and doesnt require a polishing afterwards.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger