DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141195)

Clarkgriswald 05-03-2013 12:48 PM

What would you do?

I ordered my black truck a couple of weeks ago and when it comes in I was wondering if I should have the dealer paint protection or go and have opticoat put on. What would you guys do?

bigralphy 05-03-2013 02:25 PM

Personally I think paint sealant is not worth it. I would clay bar it and wax it with a good quality wax. I used to work at a Chrysler dealership and paint sealant or protection is a money grab to me. IMO though. You can also fab guard yourself for 1/16 of the cost.

ValleyRacer 05-03-2013 03:14 PM

Tips for paint care

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkgriswald (Post 1088228)
I ordered my black truck a couple of weeks ago and when it comes in I was wondering if I should have the dealer paint protection or go and have opticoat put on. What would you guys do?

One smart trick with a new vehicle, esp these trucks with large flat surfaces -- if you stay up on your paint waxing or in other words don't let the paint get all oxidized - you could wax/polish etc the truck very easily.

Pay attention the to HOOD and roof. The sides are easier. Orbital buffers are always on sale for $20 - makes for very easy work to apply your favorite wax or polish - then wipe the stuff off with a large microfiber towel.

Or take it to a car wash detail shop if you can afford (or trust) them.

Asur 05-03-2013 03:18 PM

Dealer options for paint are not worth it, new truck, you wont even need to clay it, just wash a wax, 3 coat, 6 month your good, at that point, clay and wax again. Check out Adams wax or Zaino, they have great stuff.

brandonjansen 05-03-2013 03:53 PM

Yup, as the others stated I wouldn't spend the money on the dealership stuff. I ended up getting the protection package on my truck (paint sealant, undercoating, and interior scotchgaurd) put on my truck at the dealership only because they gave it to me for half price. Even at that I regret doing it.... I think I could have done a better job myself for a lot cheaper.

As Asur said, just get a good quality wax and put a few coats on it. You'll be set for quite a while.

RyanJM 05-04-2013 02:06 PM

You can buy a good paint sealant at most local stores that supply body shops.

primo spaghetti 05-05-2013 08:09 AM

for the DIY, look to Opti Coat or Cquartz UK.

If you want it professionally applied, Opti Guard and Cquartz Finest are the premium versions of the above products that are only installed by authorized dealers, but that will also come with a cost.

Opti Coat is excellent and easy to apply(serch for videos by Chris at Optimum), especially when the paint is new.