DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   8.4A & 8.4AN Radios - new manufacturer??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141293)

ramaries 05-04-2013 03:58 PM

8.4A & 8.4AN Radios - new manufacturer???

I saw on another forum where a person who had a bad radio was told that they were backordered with no delivery date and that Chrysler, due to the current one's number of failures, was switching radio manufacturers. Not sure if it was all radios or just the 8.4.
Does anyone know if this is true? It actually makes sense with the number of these failing.

nikeman 05-04-2013 04:33 PM

not sure but i'm wondering if there will be a recall for a new radio in the future if this is in fact true. My truck has been ordered with the 8.4an radio.

ramaries 05-04-2013 04:58 PM

I am supposed to pick one up next week with 8.4AN. Thinking of backing out. The failure rate has to be quite high for them to do this. The person who's radio failed had the regional rep involved and they got him a new truck (2500) due to couldn't tell him how long it would be for a radio for his. Dealer also tried swapping one from another truck on the lot and it would not work as each radio has to be programmed at factory with VIN.

nikeman 05-04-2013 05:02 PM

I'm fine with it as long as the dealer/chrysler does the right thing and gets me in a truck that I want. I haven't heard much about people having major issues with the 8.4 radios other then small things like apps not working or showing up. I have heard of people have there radio replaced and the new ones working just fine. Replacing the 8.4a/an is apparently the fix for the issue caused by the Uconnect update that was killing peoples battery by not turning the dash lights off.. So it is possible to swap out radios.

ramaries 05-04-2013 10:15 PM

Per the post I was referencing it has been determined that it is a hardware issue; quite possibly just a quality control/ cheap component issue IME. There are no radios to be had right now so if a truck quits it is down until they start shipping again. There have been a substantial number of failures of this radio - it is not "a few". And if they are actually changing manufacturers it could be quite a while before the supplies catch up. I read the radio was made by harmon kardon.

slauso 05-04-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramaries (Post 1089546)
Per the post I was referencing it has been determined that it is a hardware issue; quite possibly just a quality control/ cheap component issue IME. There are no radios to be had right now so if a truck quits it is down until they start shipping again. There have been a substantial number of failures of this radio - it is not "a few". And if they are actually changing manufacturers it could be quite a while before the supplies catch up. I read the radio was made by harmon kardon.

If the 8.4an fails is the whole truck undrivable? I picked up my 2013 Laramie Quad Cab,8spd with the hemi 2 days ago and everything has worked perfect. just hope it stays that way.There must be thousands of these radio in service. Are they all going to fail or just a small percentage. Electronics tend to be fickle, any part that is weak for whatever reason can cause it to quit.

ramaries 05-04-2013 11:21 PM

"If the 8.4an fails is the whole truck undrivable?"

The most number of failures I have seen posted have been the radio won't cut off and it kills the battery. There have been all sorts of other things like the AC won't cut off, etc. Some have reported it can't be driven but from what I have seen cruising the forums is all sorts of random small failures leading to having to disconnect the battery nightly to prevent discharging and the radio being unusable.

Everyone was thinking it to be a software problem. Yesterday was the first I heard it to be a hardware problem - not good.

I am personally still considering my purchase and as of tonight, even considering all the radio problems, I am leaning towards going ahead with my purchase; there are a lot of things to like about these RAMS.

madhatr02 05-04-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramaries (Post 1089546)
There have been a substantial number of failures of this radio - it is not "a few".

What report has come out with the numbers to show substantial failures? I haven't seen one. I know there have been thousands of these trucks come out but have yet to see data on ones with issues. My wife had a 2011 Charger with this radio and Dodge bought it back it was so bad.....but I still see 2011-current chargers all over the road.

Mean no disrespect but to report substantial number of problems I would really like to know if it is a source or opinion.

nikeman 05-04-2013 11:38 PM

Just remember that if the radio fails Chrysler will take care of it. You just want have a rental for a while. If my radio fails and I have to get a new one from a new manufacturer then I'd expect a better replacement. Lol. Wishful thinking right?

HorseMan 05-05-2013 12:04 AM

I would certainly like to know more about this before I sign for mine! It can't be that big a problem...Michigan is still building them at a record pace.