DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Electric fan swap question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141319)

Rakal 05-04-2013 10:27 PM

Electric fan swap question

Hey everyone,

My viscous fan is going and it's crazy expensive to get it replaced through the dealer. I'm planning on getting an electric fan conversion but am wondering if I need a programmer (Trinity, Bullydog, etc) to reprogram the fan. Is this absolutely necessary? I would love to buy a programmer eventually but it's not in my budget at this time.

Thanks

R

Chris b 05-05-2013 06:34 AM

Yes, you would need a programmer to reset the temp that it would come on at.

snrusnak 05-05-2013 07:44 AM

Your truck already has an electric fan. You would need a tuner to adjust the on/off temps. How do you know the clutch is going?

S.C. Express 05-05-2013 09:45 AM

Or you could simply straight wire the fan to a simple on/off toggle switch until you can afford a tuner.
Check around for a new fan clutch. Ebay,Amazon, etc.. You can find Dodge OEM parts new other places than your dealer. A fan clutch is super easy to change.

BlackRamHemi 05-05-2013 10:11 AM

I have the TYC E-Fan and a Jet 180 T-Stat,
But removed my tune (Diablo Trinity) last year ( Aug. Or Sept)
The new fan simply replaces the existing stock e-fan and plugs into the same wireing harness vacated when the stock one is removed.

The fan kicks in whenever my coolant temp reads 190 or more on my EVIC.
Or I can manually kick it in by turning on the a/c :smileup:

No problemo in 8 months on stock tuning.

Some of you guys that say you "need" to run a tuner should try removing your tune and see for yourselves before you tell somebody it cant be done.

I say go for it, great mod for just over $100 and change to a 180 stat for an extra $25 too.

OP, what part of Canada are you from?

Rakal 05-05-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi (Post 1089827)
The new fan simply replaces the existing stock e-fan and plugs into the same wireing harness vacated when the stock one is removed.

Some of you guys that say you "need" to run a tuner should try removing your tune and see for yourselves before you tell somebody it cant be done.

I say go for it, great mod for just over $100 and change to a 180 stat for an extra $25 too.

Awesome thanks! I'll order the parts today.
I'm from the Okanagan.

Chris b 05-05-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi (Post 1089827)

If that's so he can just run the stock e-fan that he already has. Not much of any difference from v6 and stock e-fan.

BlackRamHemi 05-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris b (Post 1090015)
If that's so he can just run the stock e-fan that he already has.

Yes he could run the stock e-fan on its own, its been done by several Ram owners.
But I would want a little more CFM for a Hot Summer in the B.C. Okanagan where temps often hit triple digits, I once lived in Kelowna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris b (Post 1090015)
... Not much of any difference from v6 and stock e-fan.

LOL! The V6 fan is substially stronger than the flimsy weak stock auxillary e-fan, that's only meant to be a helper to the clutch fan.

The V6 Fan with a more powerful motor is a single stand-alone unit and it HOWLS when it engages
the stocker is so weak you can barely notice when it comes on.

Try this with stocker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitWUmKrxKY

Still not convinced, pop the hood on any 6.4L SRT8 Hemi, no clutch fan and a Huge E-Fan
that looks nearly identical to the big ass E Fan I installed on my Ram

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...psa722aabf.jpg

S.C. Express 05-05-2013 05:12 PM

Just go old school. Solid mount, no fan clutch with one of those aft. fan blades that are razor sharp and flexible. The blades flatten out as the engine rpms go up. Man those things could do some damage.This was roughly 30 years ago... My cat made the mistake of sleeping in the fan shroud of my dad's 69 Camaro.. He started the Car early one morning, no more kitty. The poor little guy was almost cut in half in about 4 different places.

snrusnak 05-05-2013 06:58 PM

The flex fans are worse than a clutch fan. Even though they flex at higher rpms they rob power at cruising rpms, where the clutch fan doesn't.

BRH, have't seen you post in awhile. So with your stock tuning the efan comes on at 190 deg F? Mine doesn't come on until IIRC 222 deg F. That's what I always understood stock to be.

Why'd you remove the tune, anyway?