DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   2012 tow hitch question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141378)

AladdinSane 05-05-2013 09:28 PM

2012 tow hitch question
 
First of all I have never had to tow anything so I am green regarding this. I purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the towing package but the only real towing access is right on the bumper. I have the tow break and both electrical outlets but don't wanna just stick a hitch ball on the bumper. :LOL:

What do you folks suggest for a real aftermarket hitch? I'm about to buy a trailer for my jon boat and will be needing something soon.

Thanks for any suggestions! :wavey:

ciRe 05-05-2013 09:37 PM

If you are just hauling a jon boat I wouldn't go all out crazy on one. When I bought one from my old truck I bought a curt because it wasn't expensive. Hauled my aluminum bass boat without a problem.

AladdinSane 05-05-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciRe (Post 1090239)
If you are just hauling a jon boat I wouldn't go all out crazy on one. When I bought one from my old truck I bought a curt because it wasn't expensive. Hauled my aluminum bass boat without a problem.


So I would just buy and aftermarket hitch and bolt it on to the existing frame? Thanks for the response :smileup:

Like I said , this is ALL new to me. I want to be able to trailer my fishing boat but would like to have the ability to haul up to the limits of my truck should I need to. I do a lot of yardsailing and fleamarkets so if I can buy it, haul it and re-sell it I would need that ability.

Contadino 05-05-2013 11:08 PM

No receiver?
 
So you have the towing package and the integrated brake controller but don't have a receiver hitch? Are you sure you don't have 2x2" square hole under your bumper? If so then just get a receiver hitch and ball.

brandonjansen 05-05-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contadino (Post 1090326)
So you have the towing package and the integrated brake controller but don't have a receiver hitch? Are you sure you don't have 2x2" square hole under your bumper? If so then just get a receiver hitch and ball.

Ya it seems weird to me that you got the tow package and no hitch. I'd talk to your dealer about that.

If you do get an aftermarket hitch get a class 4. That's what the stock one is so I wouldn't go any lower than that. It's capable of hauling up to 10,000 pounds so you'll be set.

Martyway 05-05-2013 11:43 PM

Ordered mine from AMAZON. Best price even with shipping.

Sledlvr 05-06-2013 12:25 AM

Towing package without a hitch ? I would go have a chat with the dealer that sold it to you , I'm pretty sure the towing package option lists a class 4 receiver as part of the package

davem2421 05-06-2013 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with most of the comments here. if your truck came with the tow package and you have the break controller & hook ups you should have had the receiver as well.

I'd take it back to the dealer and ask where it is.

RPM666 05-06-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem2421 (Post 1090541)
I agree with most of the comments here. if your truck came with the tow package and you have the break controller & hook ups you should have had the receiver as well.

I'd take it back to the dealer and ask where it is.

Find your original window sticker. Verify what it says you have.

highlandchef 05-06-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contadino (Post 1090326)
So you have the towing package and the integrated brake controller but don't have a receiver hitch? Are you sure you don't have 2x2" square hole under your bumper? If so then just get a receiver hitch and ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledlvr (Post 1090375)
Towing package without a hitch ? I would go have a chat with the dealer that sold it to you , I'm pretty sure the towing package option lists a class 4 receiver as part of the package

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem2421 (Post 1090541)
I agree with most of the comments here. if your truck came with the tow package and you have the break controller & hook ups you should have had the receiver as well.

It's very strange, my truck came the same way. Full tow package, Tow Mode, Trailer Plugs, 3.92 etc, but no hitch. I bought mine used so the dealer offered to add one one for about $500. I did a Class IV myself for about $200.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger