DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   leveled! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141402)

RAM4life21 05-05-2013 11:22 PM

leveled!

hey guys
i turned my torsion keys all the way! now the front look taller than the back. i was wondering if i buy 2in rear shocks, would that do the trick? or what should i do? dont get me wrong i do love the clearence i get now! so let me know what ya think.

brandonjansen 05-05-2013 11:56 PM

Well for one if your front is higher than the back you didn't level it. You went too far. You could just back them off a bit.

Shocks won't lift your truck at all. Shocks have nothing to do with the height of the truck, they just prevent the truck from bouncing too much. You would need rear blocks or re-arced springs.

starquestbd22 05-06-2013 09:04 AM

Cranking your torsion bars as far as they will go is a very bad idea. I don't know how much lift you got by cranking them that much but about 2" (maybe....maybe 2.5" but I personally would not go over 2") is really all that is safely recommended. Cranking the torsion bars puts extra stress on the front suspension components and creates angles that your suspension wasn't designed to operate with. This can cause a number of problems, one of them being accelerated wear on the front end. Also, if you haven't noticed already I bet when you accelerate heavily in your truck you will get a brief shimmy from the front end. It will be even more pronounced in 4x4. This is because your CV's are at an extreme angle. All of these are reasons why cranking should be limited to about 2". Even with only 2" of lift you really need new front shocks to prevent them from overextending on dips and potholes.

I'm all for cranking if you wish to level by lifting. It just needs to be done properly and in moderation. I ran my 04 for about a year with the torsion bars cranked before I swapped to level by lowering with McGaughy's rear drop shackles. I love it but lowering isn't for everyone. If you want to keep it lifted I recommend you get it back down to the 2" mark and spare your front end and you also won't need to mess with the back. If you lower the front to where it is about 3/4-1" lower than the back that will be about the 2" mark as the front sits 2-3/4 to 3" lower than the back from the factory. To the eye, the truck will probably look level at this height.

Also, give it a day or two to settle after you get it where you want it and get an alignment!! I guarantee that your alignment is way off right now and I wouldn't be surprised if they had trouble aligning it with the bars cranked all the way.

gonefishin776 05-06-2013 09:05 AM

I strongly agree with starquestbd22 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RAM4life21 05-06-2013 10:47 AM

so i should just lower it alittle bit!? then ill be good right?? and yes my alignment is off. lowering it would help the drive shaft. would i be better off buying actual torsion keys! thanks for the help and preventing my truck to break in the future!

starquestbd22 05-06-2013 11:37 AM

Yes, you should lower it back down to the measurements I posted above or at the very least just lower it back down to where the front does not sit higher than the back. Measure it and eyeball it. Often a truck that measures slightly lower in the front will actually look level. Check it again after you drive it a few miles as the front end may settle a bit more when the suspension components move around a bit. Don't waste your time on aftermarket torsion keys. They are worthless and will not do anything for you that you can't do for free.

SwampDonkey2012 05-06-2013 03:43 PM

Just got mine Leveled. Did the Bilstein 5100's all the way around. I seem to find from everyone I talk to, that this is 'The Only' way to level these trucks. My truck looks so much meaner and rides even better than before.

I would save your money and do it the right way. IMHO

gonefishin776 05-06-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampDonkey2012 (Post 1090781)
Just got mine Leveled. Did the Bilstein 5100's all the way around. I seem to find from everyone I talk to, that this is 'The Only' way to level these trucks. My truck looks so much meaner and rides even better than before.

I would save your money and do it the right way. IMHO

he has 2005, different suspension set up. he can't use bilsteins

RAM4life21 05-06-2013 04:04 PM

i have a 02 ram

RAM4life21 05-06-2013 04:06 PM

i was thinking about the daystar leveling kit. its a 5in leveling kit.