DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   18" magnaflow vs 40 series flowmaster (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141727)

ramrod83 05-08-2013 11:34 PM

18" magnaflow vs 40 series flowmaster

i keep seeing a few guys posting about their 18" magnaflow...so anybody know if there is a BIG difference between the two??...really like my 40 series but will definatley consider switching if there is a big difference.

Excoastie 05-09-2013 06:19 AM

Bearing in mind that I DO NOT have either the 18" or the 40 series....

I would say that if you like what you have, why change what isn't broken?

The two are very similar, but obviously they have their differences. In the end it comes down to personal opinion.

Good luck

Exco

starquestbd22 05-09-2013 07:06 AM

There are big differences. Maggies are stainless steel where most Flows are not and are prone to rust much faster. Maggies are also a straight through design where Flows are chambered and have obstructions for the exhaust to flow around. For this reason, the Maggie is more likely to boost performance although you are unlikely to experience a noticeable difference with either of them. What it all really comes down to is sound and they are different here too. Maggies are generally quieter than most Flows, especially a 40 or 44 series. Maggies tend to be quieter and less noticeable at idle and get louder when you throw on the throttle where the Flows are fairly loud all the time and get even louder when you get in the throttle. And lastly, the tone is different. Maggies have a deep, modern rumble. Flows have that throaty, hollow sound. The Maggie does not have that same tone.

Listen to the million clips on Youtube to get an idea. You may find that you want to try Magnaflow. It really just depends on what would motivate you to swap.

ramrod83 05-09-2013 06:56 PM

i love my 40 series but its no where close to as loud as my 05 hemi was and i was just maybe looking to see if i could get it more aggressive and deeper thats all but hanks for the input fellas....i guess im gonna keep what i got for now!

hodge 05-09-2013 07:18 PM

I just put an 18" magnaflow on last week and I do like the sound. It's definitely not as loud as I expected at idle, but I chose the 18" because I didn't want it overly loud. Idle and cruising has a nice rumble over stock, but when you really get into the pedal it sounds sweet. Have you thought about the 14" magnaflow? If you'd looking for something louder that'd probably be your best bet.

Ram725 05-09-2013 07:22 PM

I love my magnaflow 18". There is a video somewhere on my build thread.

ramrod83 05-09-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram725 (Post 1094150)

Where can i find your build?

ramrod83 05-09-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram725 (Post 1094150)

mevermind...lol...found it

Ram725 05-09-2013 08:41 PM

Haha good, the magnaflow link under my sig might direct you straight to the video. Cant remember

ramrod83 05-09-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram725 (Post 1094196)
Haha good, the magnaflow link under my sig might direct you straight to the video. Cant remember

yea i found it sounds good but cant hear it real great on this crappy comp at work.....quick question i also have the toyo open country m/ts...how many miles do you have on them as of now?