DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Truck Dying (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141762)

WyoUltra 05-09-2013 10:22 AM

Truck Dying

My truck is dying at low speeds, whether it's decelerating, at a stop, or accelerating. It's happening <~15 mph and more commonly in first gear <5mph. My check engine light was on for a speed sensor, so I changed the one in the tranny (transmission output speed sensor) and the light went out. Thought all was good until the past couple days when it has died 3 times on me. It's starting to make me nervous because yesterday It didn't even want to start back up after it did it the second time. A little back ground on the truck would be that around this time last year I replaced my catalytic converter because it was clogged, and on a rare occasion my fuel gauge won't read (I believe this to be the sending unit?). Anyhow I'm wondering where to go from here.. Do I change the upstream 02 sensor on the catalytic converter? Do I change the speed sensor in the rear end? Should I look at a new fuel pump????

WyoUltra 05-09-2013 10:23 AM

Oh and I forgot to add that I think my 02 sensor is where I should start because my exhaust smells funny, or different then it should... I was thinking when the cat clogged, it was caked up with carbon and just is in need of replacement now.

WyoUltra 05-15-2013 04:54 PM

So it died on me the other day in the middle of a busy intersection, and won't start. No check engine light or any indicator lights on... Anybody have any ideas??? I really need my truck for transportation...

paintengr 05-15-2013 07:54 PM

Try changing the crank sensor on the bell housing

I had several die and stall issues and no lights "CEL" it lit one time and I took it to Autozone for read, it was low voltage fault... Runs great now, remember it's
your points per se..

Warlock III 05-15-2013 08:40 PM

Try hitting the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while someone trustworthy spins the engine over. If she starts, you've got a bad fuel pump.

RogerRamJet 05-15-2013 09:07 PM

You should be able to hear the fuel pump energize when you turn the ignition on. If you don't hear it, then check your fuel pressure. Remember the 3 basics for an engine to run: fuel, spark, compression.

WyoUltra 05-16-2013 11:09 AM

The fuel rail is pressurized, I don't have a second person to check the spark, and I know I'm getting air. Anyone know any tricks to how I can check the voltage?? The truck is sitting across the street now. Thanks!!!

Warlock III 05-16-2013 11:26 AM

I would try some starting fluid of a little fuel in the TB. I realize the fuel rail may be pressurized, but is it sufficient pressure, have you done a test? Have you tried tapping the tank.

I've heard fuel pumps SCREAM, does that mean it's good?

The spark is simple. Put a piece of wire in the spark-plug boot (about 4 feet) hold onto it and sit in the truck...spin the engine.

WyoUltra 05-16-2013 12:39 PM

Ok tried the starting fluid, no go, checked the spark, and the plug didn't spark. All I did was pull a plug and set it in the spark plug boot, on top of one of the frame rails and had my buddy turn the truck over, that should give it enough of a ground to spark right?? Anyhow, is it time to do plug wires on this thing again, or should I replace the cap and rotor?

Warlock III 05-16-2013 12:47 PM

Check the plug going into the dist. they also have a tendency to go bad for some reason. (check for spark out of the coil)

I've had to cut the harness out of quite a few of 'em for customers when I was working used parts (last year and nearly 20 years prior).

Wiggle it around because the contacts in the plug corrode and break, then try it.