DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (
-   -   Those with 8sp Hemi, a good amount of engine braking/downshifting? (

rexmobile 05-09-2013 10:32 AM

Those with 8sp Hemi, a good amount of engine braking/downshifting?
Hi all, just got my '13 Sport CC 4x4 Hemi 8Sp. Pictures to follow once it stops raining!

Anyway, when driving around town, the 8speed really is awesome. With the Hemi it's very quick acceleration, smooth, and VERY quick, shifts.

The question I have is, does anyone think that the downshifts and resulting engine braking is, say on the "aggressive" side? At least for a truck? I especially notice this coming down a hill.

This is my first modern pickup. All of my cars beforehand have been manual-transmission sports cars ('08 Z06, '11 Shelby GT500). The downshifting on this Sport Hemi sometimes reminds me of blipping my throttle to downshift on my stick shift sports cars!

orangefan79 05-09-2013 10:44 AM

I've noticed it too but don't have a baseline to compare it to as this is also my first truck. None of my prior vehicles have ever done that. It bothers me because I live in a hilly area and would like to take advantage of coasting.

Monster5601 05-09-2013 11:36 AM

I don't. I like they way engine braking kicks in when coming to a stop. Most noticeable when getting in to the lower gears (first three).

I have yet to feel any engine braking coasting down hills, the one big hill I roll down is on a roadway with a 50 MPH speed limit so my transmission is in seventh gear.

Buckster44 05-09-2013 01:55 PM

i noticed more engine braking than my 08' Hemi. I have no hills here to speak of, but there is a lot less "coast" than my old truck that is for sure!

shaner82 05-09-2013 03:44 PM

Even in 8th gear, if coasting down a large hill, it will downshift and engine brake. I don't like that at all

OptimusPrime2011 05-09-2013 04:05 PM

I'm on the fence about it myself. It's really nice when you see traffic up ahead, you can just let your foot off the gas and it slows down, but sometimes, I do agree that it can be a hindrance. Especially when you're used to coasting.But I think it's a small price to pay for having those extra gears :)

kxlexus 05-09-2013 04:13 PM

I like it! I sometime leave the sliding rear window open so I can rear the exhaust rumble when it downshifts.

snrusnak 05-09-2013 04:33 PM

It may not be what you want when unloaded, but hauling or pulling a trailer the engine braking is nice to have. That's why they program it in there.

phil43 05-09-2013 07:13 PM

ive noticed engine braking on downhills. better than riding brake. so far im averaging 20mpg on first tank of gas