DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Truck bed/fender protector? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141846)

Jonnycat 05-10-2013 04:30 AM

Truck bed/fender protector?

I'm new to the world of trucks and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for protecting the outside/fenders of the bed for when I go to get a load of gravel.

I'm a little worried that the materials loader will drop some gravel along the side of my bed (I have Ram Boxes so it's a slightly narrow target) and scratch up my shiny paint. Any suggestions for a heavy material or blanket to lay across the top of the ram boxes and hang over the sides? Am I insane for even asking this because it is not an issue?

Thanks in advance for the advice and education!

highlandchef 05-10-2013 10:26 AM

I don't thing such a thing exists but I have an idea.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, they sell rubber mat in rolls to protect floors. Get two lengths the same as your truck bed. Magnets or grommets and hooks could be used to secure one edge of the mat inside the truck box and the rest of the mat would lay over the top and down the side of the truck.

Hemiman345 05-10-2013 10:47 AM

Or go to harbor freight and get some moving blankets. There cheap and work well to protect fenders

battlerattle 05-10-2013 02:11 PM

Just take it to one of those places that do the clear bra's. They can do the same with your fenders, just be prepared to replace it every few years to keep it looking good.

Inferno10 05-10-2013 02:57 PM

Id go with some moving blankets and some good size magnets. Just drape the blankets over the fenders and use the magnets to hold them up from the outside of the blanket. Cheap and simple.

Boghdoir 05-11-2013 10:37 AM

I used to load bottom dumps and transfer trucks for a living at a sand and gravel pit. Once in a while I would load a pick up for an ambitious home owner or whatever that would come in and want some sand or base or rock.

I can tell you that if you bother to get out some blankets or rubber mats and protect your bed, the operator will respect that and work hard to not mess up your truck. At least I would have. Show them you care about it, its worth it.

Jonnycat 05-14-2013 09:35 PM

Thanks all for the great ideas. I think the moving blanket is where I'm headed and hope that the loader at my local pit will be of similar mindset as Boghdoir.

In the end, I have to remind myself that I said I would never buy a new vehicle again for this exact reason, I don't want to ding it up! But geesh, sometimes shiny new is hard to resist :smileup:

Thanks again!

SFVDOC 05-15-2013 10:46 AM

I'd rent a small utility trailer made to haul sand / rock/ gravel.