DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Airlift 1000's... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142465)

Tippmannr 05-16-2013 07:24 PM

Airlift 1000's...

Looking to buy some airbags. I was just wondering if with just 5PSI in them if they will left the back of the truck anymore than stock when you don't have a load on. If they do i might need some Bilsteins to :smiley_thumbs_up:

Also are the onboard compressors worth it over purchasing one from Walmart that will plug in a cigarette lighter for $20?
Thanks.
Nice forum by the way!

brandonjansen 05-16-2013 07:32 PM

Nope, with 5 PSI in they won't lift the back end at all. It rides exactly like stock. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't add Bilsteins ;)

I bought the WirelessOne compressor because they have a $50 rebate on so it made it a little more affordable. I really like the convenience of just sitting in my truck and pressing a button to inflate or deflate my bags whenever I need to. It makes it a lot easier to fine tune exactly how much pressure you want to ride well.

Here's a link to a thread I just posted comparing two loads with and without the Airlift 1000's. You might find it interesting.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142443

EdmontonRam 08-27-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1100276)
Nope, with 5 PSI in they won't lift the back end at all. It rides exactly like stock. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't add Bilsteins ;)

I bought the WirelessOne compressor because they have a $50 rebate on so it made it a little more affordable. I really like the convenience of just sitting in my truck and pressing a button to inflate or deflate my bags whenever I need to. It makes it a lot easier to fine tune exactly how much pressure you want to ride well.

Here's a link to a thread I just posted comparing two loads with and without the Airlift 1000's. You might find it interesting.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142443

Hi,

I am putting the air lift 1000 air bags in my truck and also bought the onboard compressor. I have two questions for you if you would be so kind to answer them for me.

1. Where did you tap the ignition wire for the compressor harness?

2. Where did you mount the compressor on your chassis ?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Im so excited to get this installed.

Thanks

brandonjansen 08-28-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmontonRam (Post 1186570)
Hi,

I am putting the air lift 1000 air bags in my truck and also bought the onboard compressor. I have two questions for you if you would be so kind to answer them for me.

1. Where did you tap the ignition wire for the compressor harness?

2. Where did you mount the compressor on your chassis ?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Im so excited to get this installed.

Thanks

For the ignition source I ran a relay off the TIPM. I built a bracket to mount behind the battery for 2 relays. One for the airlift compressor and one for other miscellaneous items. Then to turn the relays on I just found a keyed source under the dash and tapped into it since it would only be drawing minimal power.

I mounted the compressor on the subframe above the spare tire. I figured it was fairly protected from weather up there and made it very easy to run all the airlines and wiring.

EdmontonRam 08-28-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1186621)
For the ignition source I ran a relay off the TIPM. I built a bracket to mount behind the battery for 2 relays. One for the airlift compressor and one for other miscellaneous items. Then to turn the relays on I just found a keyed source under the dash and tapped into it since it would only be drawing minimal power.

I mounted the compressor on the subframe above the spare tire. I figured it was fairly protected from weather up there and made it very easy to run all the airlines and wiring.

Thanks for the fast response.

Is there any way you could show or tell me how you wired up your relay and where you grabbed the trigger wire from ?

Thanks again

Edit: I would be willing to PayPal you some beer money for your effort ? :beerchug:

snrusnak 08-28-2013 07:43 AM

I run 10psi all the time and it sits level. I have 9 inch long bags(not the 12 inch long bags that come with the ram kit) because my truck is lowered in the rear to be level with the front. I use a bicycle pump to fill them, takes about 10 pumps to get to 35 psi(max psi). This will obviously vary by size of the pump. I just couldn't see spending a lot of money to get a compressor, especially hard wiring one, when the bags use such little volume of air. I bought a mini hand pump and leave it in the truck for if I need to add air on the fly, it takes more like 50 pumps to get to 35 psi, still not bad.

brandonjansen 08-28-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmontonRam (Post 1186657)
Thanks for the fast response.

Is there any way you could show or tell me how you wired up your relay and where you grabbed the trigger wire from ?

Thanks again

Edit: I would be willing to PayPal you some beer money for your effort ? :beerchug:

Well I can't show you as I no longer have the truck.... but I can explain it to you the best I can.

First off, have you ever wired a relay before? They are very simple to do, the relay itself actually shows you what wires to hook up where (in a way).

There's 4 (sometimes 5) prongs on a relay. Two of them are for your straight through power (from the main power source to the item you want to turn on) and 2 of them are for your switch. For my set up I ran power directly from the bolt on the TIPM, through a fuseable link, to the connector on the relay labelled "30". Then from the connector labelled "87" (directly opposite from your main power wire) I ran the wire to the compressor. Now the other two prongs left (85 and 86) are for the switch. One of them needs to be wired to a ground source. The other to a keyed source. To find a keyed source just get under your dash with a test light and see what's on keyed power. I believe I tapped into the control for my 4wd. It was the easiest one to get to and I knew what I would be tying in to. If you have 4wd just pull off the center bezel and test the wires that go to it... one of them will be keyed and I just spliced into it.

As far as mounting the relays go, I just built an aluminum bracket that bolted to the same spot where the battery tray bolts too and screwed the relays into it. That way it was a nice, clean install.

Hopefully that answers most of your questions. If you need anything else just let me know.

djbock 08-28-2013 11:10 PM

Sorry for the hijack but I had a question on these bags as well. Do you have to inflate to the 35psi, apply load then drop psi to desired height? Or do you apply load then inflate the bags?

snrusnak 08-28-2013 11:16 PM

You're supposed to inflate before loading.

I did inflate to 35psi AFTER putting 2,250 lb in my bed recently though and although it sagged like crazy it handled it ok. Would have sagged less if I inflated first.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...ps47ec0274.jpg

brandonjansen 08-29-2013 02:32 AM

Yes, you are supposed to inflate them first as it's the bag pushing out wards on the coil that reduces the sagging. If they're already sagged and then you add air you aren't helping your sagging problem at all, just the ride quality.