DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   First longer run in the new Cummins (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142742)

Cowboy Medic 05-20-2013 12:33 AM

First longer run in the new Cummins

Well, my niece graduated from High School today, so we made the 45 mile drive down to her party. We are very proud of her.

Took the new truck, man is this diesel quiet compared to my old straight pipe '99 dually I used to have. Wife and I were able to have a nice conversation while the kids napped in the back seat.

Truck ran great. So smooth on the road. Only got about 14 mpg but I was told to expect that with a new diesel. Trip was about 100 miles round trip. Odometer read 400 even when i parked it in the driveway tonight. Same trip with my Hemi 2500 was averaging about the same. Hopefully when the engine gets broke in a bit I will see the mileage increase a bit. This drive is through the Black Hills so there is some good grades up and down. I absolutely loved the exhaust brake. I had a PacBrake on my 99 and that was by far one of the features I missed the most.

Anyway, never gonna get the mileage I was getting with my old 5.9 Cummins but this one sure is a smooth runner with gobs and gobs of power. Loving every minute of it so far.

http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/d...m/DSC06187.JPG

fastNugly @ BP 05-20-2013 12:36 AM

For the length of that beast, 14mpg is pretty sweet
But give her time to brake in...maybe add a tuner to get it even higher

Let us know if you wanna plunge into a tuner :smileup:

Overall, love your truck

Kelevra 05-20-2013 03:02 AM

That is

ONE

LONG

ASS

TRUCK

Cowboy Medic 05-20-2013 11:50 AM

I actually have a Trinity Tuner that I had on my Hemi, but I am selling it. I want to avoid that tempation until I am closer to the end of my warranty. When I get there, I will probably look at doing the deletes and a tuner. Everything I am reading on the forums here and a few others are saying that it really makes a difference on these 6.7's

LS1EB 05-20-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy Medic (Post 1103011)
I actually have a Trinity Tuner that I had on my Hemi, but I am selling it. I want to avoid that tempation until I am closer to the end of my warranty. When I get there, I will probably look at doing the deletes and a tuner. Everything I am reading on the forums here and a few others are saying that it really makes a difference on these 6.7's

Deletes and a tuner will get your mileage where you want it to be and with insane amounts of power. Another big benefit is you won't have to worry about the intake getting plugged with soot every 20k like I did because I treated it like a light duty pickup. Flog it and enjoy it and you'll have no problems!

huntergreen 05-20-2013 04:05 PM

cowboy, what speed were you traveling at?

hydrex 05-20-2013 04:16 PM

I recently tried out a 2500 Laramie with the 6.7. I was shocked, how much quieter and better riding than my 1500 with hemi. It used to be diesel for towing and economy, now it's like driving an ultra luxury car, my hemi half ton is loud and drives like a hot rod. I still love it, though!

Kcbigbadram 05-21-2013 12:42 AM

These trucks are quiet, I miss my hemi roar:smiledown:

Cowboy Medic 05-21-2013 12:42 AM

Huntergreen, it was mixed. 75 on Interstate, 65 on the fourlane to Deadwood, 25 and 35 through Deadwood, 55 on Hwy385 down to Hwy 44 and 55 on Hwy 44 as well. There was some traffic that messed with just setting the cruise and going as well.

fastNugly @ BP 05-21-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram (Post 1103628)
These trucks are quiet, I miss my hemi roar:smiledown:

Well you always have my offer to fall onto ;)