DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Widest tire for air suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142866)

Jake95 05-21-2013 02:57 PM

Widest tire for air suspension

Does anyone know the widest tire without rub on an air ride equipped ram 1500
Entry exit rub it ok, I don't plan on driving in that mode

HorseMan 05-21-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake95 (Post 1104020)
Does anyone know the widest tire without rub on an air ride equipped ram 1500
Entry exit rub it ok, I don't plan on driving in that mode

There are couple threads on this over in the tire and wheel section. You'll be cutting it close with anything wider than stock. You can go slightly higher, but not much-that's my impression anyhow. Let us know what you decide.

Even if you're not driving in entry/exit, you might want to think about accidental key fob hits, which makes the truck enter the entry/exit setting...you don't want a tire ripping off or tearing the fender plastic...just a thought.

Jake95 05-21-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseMan (Post 1104233)
There are couple threads on this over in the tire and wheel section. You'll be cutting it close with anything wider than stock. You can go slightly higher, but not much-that's my impression anyhow. Let us know what you decide.

Even if you're not driving in entry/exit, you might want to think about accidental key fob hits, which makes the truck enter the entry/exit setting...you don't want a tire ripping off or tearing the fender plastic...just a thought.

Thanks for the info, I believe the accidental fob hit's wont matter when I'm driving over a certain speed, not positive yet as I don't have my truck but thought I read 15mph and it goes in normal. I keep seeing pic of the rams in exit mode and it look like it has a ton of clearance, then again pics are deceiving.

madhatr02 05-21-2013 10:57 PM

275/65/20 pretty much stock width and a little taller on factory rims. Anything wider and you will need aftermarket wheels. If you go that route then you can go wider as you can push the rim out a little.

CLOTAGAMES 05-21-2013 11:07 PM

Running Cooper LTZ LT275/65/20 on stock wheels and that is max-can rub slightly at full turn

HorseMan 05-21-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake95 (Post 1104289)
Thanks for the info, I believe the accidental fob hit's wont matter when I'm driving over a certain speed, not positive yet as I don't have my truck but thought I read 15mph and it goes in normal. I keep seeing pic of the rams in exit mode and it look like it has a ton of clearance, then again pics are deceiving.

I think the other guys are right. What I meant was, hypothetically, if you're parked in your drive and you hit the entry/exit button or a kiddo gets your remote and hits the button, and your tires are to wide, the truck will lower and rip your fender lining! I think too much.

Yes, when your truck hits a certain speed, it would raise from entry/exit automatically.

Jake95 05-22-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatr02 (Post 1104413)
275/65/20 pretty much stock width and a little taller on factory rims. Anything wider and you will need aftermarket wheels. If you go that route then you can go wider as you can push the rim out a little.

I would like to run the 275/65/20 or the 285/60/20 on a set of fuel nutz 20x9.
I can get a set at a good price, they are +1 of set. Do you think I would be ok with the 285. What offset would u recommend

Jake95 05-22-2013 12:34 AM

To all that answered above, thank you and how are you liking the air ride. Are you regretting it or loving it. I'm nervous I made the wrong choice. But mi always like this, buyers remorse, until I drive it

madhatr02 05-22-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake95 (Post 1104491)
To all that answered above, thank you and how are you liking the air ride. Are you regretting it or loving it. I'm nervous I made the wrong choice. But mi always like this, buyers remorse, until I drive it

LOVING it hands down, no questions. The only reason I would even consider not getting it now that I have it is if I wanted to lift the truck. Right now you can't and doubt that you will ever be able to. But for a daily driven truck, that can tow comfortably and also handles better than most trucks you can't go wrong with it.

Also I drive in entry/exit mode in my companies parking garage and have no rub when turning on a FLAT surface. The only time I have had any rub has been backing out of my driveway which is steep and turning. Nothing that bothers or worries me.

Jake95 05-23-2013 12:09 AM

Got some good info from a few guys on here and a wheel shop. I've decided to go with the fuel nutz 20x9 + 1 offset with duratrac 285/60/20. After all the research I don't think I'll have a problem. If I do I will let you guys know so nobody else gets fooled like me.