DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Best for snow? LSD, locker or open diff? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142936)

shaner82 05-22-2013 11:11 AM

Best for snow? LSD, locker or open diff?

So I planned on ordering an LSD for my truck. I was quoted $2,000 plus taxes from a dealership. I thought an LSD would help dramatically in winter weather. So I started doing some research and it seems a lot of people are convinced an LSD will only help you get unstuck, but once you're up to speed on a slippery road, an LSD can actually be counter-productive and cause the back end to kick out by applying too much torque to the other wheel which likely also doesn't have traction.

What are your thoughts on that?

If that is the case, would an auto-locker be any better in the snow? Or is an open diff really the best thing to have when driving at cruising speed on slippery roads?

CJ.2007Ram 05-22-2013 11:27 AM

I wouldn't recommend anything less than the LSD for snowy/icy situations. Oh and good tires.

RogerRamJet 05-22-2013 11:32 AM

Unless you're in a tank, no amount of traction is going to help you if you don't know how to drive in the snow. If there is snow on the ground and you are worried about traction at "cruising speed" perhaps you should just stay home. LSD is the only way to go in a truck.

shaner82 05-22-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRamJet (Post 1104796)
Unless you're in a tank, no amount of traction is going to help you if you don't know how to drive in the snow. If there is snow on the ground and you are worried about traction at "cruising speed" perhaps you should just stay home. LSD is the only way to go in a truck.

Im' not the least bit worried about driving in the snow. I used to drive a RWD Mustang in the winter and it had high performance summer tires. Now that thing was squirrely beyond belief.

What I am worried about though is my GF's ability to drive in the snow. Do I have a specific reason to worry? Not really, she has never had an accident in the winter before, but if there is a way to give my truck the most traction possible in slippery conditions, that's what I want to do. I will get winter tires for it, and am looking into an LSD, but I have read many, many comments now that an LSD can quickly make things worse when one tire has little traction due to snow or ice.

So while I appreciate the concern, perhaps we can stick to the technical side of things. Traffic accidents kill too many people so I'd like to "idiot proof" my truck as much as possible so I don't have to worry about my GF driving in the winter. I live in a rural area with nothing but back country roads that don't get plowed or salted quickly. There's a ton of accidents in my area.

hydrex 05-22-2013 12:28 PM

Electronic traction control actually is better keeping the vehicle on the road around corners. My 05 RT Magnum wagon has open differential, but traction control, it is incredible in snow and feels very safe, ass end feels planted in the snow around corners where my Ram with limited slip will kick out the ass end pretty easily. I would expect the new Rams with open differentials and traction control would be great in snow. Limited slip and lockers will be awesome off road or going up hills, but you need to be careful on ice/snow around corners.

shaner82 05-22-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrex (Post 1104839)
Electronic traction control actually is better keeping the vehicle on the road around corners. My 05 RT Magnum wagon has open differential, but traction control, it is incredible in snow and feels very safe, ass end feels planted in the snow around corners where my Ram with limited slip will kick out the ass end pretty easily. I would expect the new Rams with open differentials and traction control would be great in snow. Limited slip and lockers will be awesome off road or going up hills, but you need to be careful on ice/snow around corners.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have spent the last few hours reading about this stuff and I've read hundreds of posts of people saying that an LSD can quickly kick out the back end on slippery roads, especially when turning. I obviously wanted to get feedback from people who have the same vehicle I do.

While I'm comfortable driving a vehicle with a squirrely backend, I'm not comfortable letting my girlfriend drive it. Of course driving skill matters, but if we were all perfect airbags and crumple zones wouldn't be needed. She's a good enough driver to get by, but is she a good enough driver to know what to do with a 5,500 lb truck that just kicked out the back end? I doubt it.

ridgerunnerseoinc 05-22-2013 03:38 PM

If U are worried when she is driving in the snow the have her keep it in 4WD high and forget about spending $ on a traction aide. :smiley_thumbs_up: Oh just checked your sig....U only have 2WD?...umm dude you are from Canada eh, U get snow there. Buy her a beater Subaru with winter tires and never mind the truck.

GTyankee 05-22-2013 05:12 PM

I won't tell you which is best, i don't know just what ESP does or how Traction Control works
I go out into areas where the trail is really just packed blow sand & my Ram has the Open Differential & i have Tow Hooks & a trailer hitch in case i get stuck
I would prefer the LSD for the times that i must go out there.

I do know about farm tractors & traction, i was raised on a farm
Farm Tractors have an Open Differential, but they also have 2 brake pedals
these normally work together with the use of a metal bar that connects them
the bar can be easily moved to let the pedals work separately
when one wheel starts spinning, you lightly press the brake that controls the spinning wheel & the traction transfers to the non spinning wheel

A car or truck only has 1 brake pedal, but you can make that pedal work almost like a tractor
If your Drive wheel starts spinning, applying just the right amount of pressure on the brake pedal, along with just the right amount of gas pedal, will transfer most of the traction to the non spinning wheel
As beginning automobile drivers, we used to get stuck in sand pits & muddy fields, just to practice that method getting unstuck, someone was always there with a chain, just in case

shaner82 05-22-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc (Post 1105030)
If U are worried when she is driving in the snow the have her keep it in 4WD high and forget about spending $ on a traction aide. :smiley_thumbs_up: Oh just checked your sig....U only have 2WD?...umm dude you are from Canada eh, U get snow there. Buy her a beater Subaru with winter tires and never mind the truck.

It's a 4x4. I would never guy a 4x2 up here

ridgerunnerseoinc 05-22-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaner82 (Post 1105225)
It's a 4x4. I would never guy a 4x2 up here

Good man. I read sport and thought 2WD. Then I did answer your question, leave it in 4 high/lock and don't worry. I have LSD's front and rear but when the snow gets bad I still put it in 4WD. It's night and day different than 2WD even with LSD's.