DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Intake manifold replace (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142951)

TruckeeT2 05-22-2013 02:09 PM

Intake manifold replace

I have a 4th gen ram w/ 5.7L. I have a crack in my intake manifold. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a direct fit replacement upgrade?

RamTex 05-22-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckeeT2 (Post 1104887)
I have a 4th gen ram w/ 5.7L. I have a crack in my intake manifold. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a direct fit replacement upgrade?

Can you post pics of this crack and location? There is no direct fit upgrade all require a bit of work. Is the truck under warranty cuz a part like that would fall under the lifetime powertrain warranty go to a dealer and get it fixed for free...

RamTex 05-22-2013 02:18 PM

If you are looking to upgrade to a manifold that flows more than the stock one you will need $$$$! Just depends on if you want to spend $1600 or more for maybe 20 more hp....

TruckeeT2 05-22-2013 05:36 PM

No warranty. (Supercharged)

Don't want to spend too much more money, just did the tranny and supercharger.

I can get a stock one for around $300 and have a buddy of mine port it.

Ronan 05-22-2013 09:17 PM

Isn't the intake manifold plastic??? How can it be ported???

CdnoilRAM 05-22-2013 09:56 PM

If you are supercharged then you might want to look at swapping in the 6.1L manifold, depending on which supercharger you have. If you have a procharger it's easy, if you are running RIPP then you really can't unless you want to move a bunch of stuff.

TruckeeT2 05-22-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronan (Post 1105279)
Isn't the intake manifold plastic??? How can it be ported???

Had my 2004 intake and heads ported, intake on that is plastic too they just grind it out.

I have RIPP

CdnoilRAM 05-23-2013 12:05 AM

Thermoplastic manifolds should not be ported, they don't have enough material to maintain proper structural integrity, especially when boosted when the material is put under tension as opposed to compression. I'm amazed that a shop would even touch a thermoplastic manifold. The heads you can port a whole lot, but you shouldn't touch the intake manifold.

The only part that could potentially be ported is the throttle body opening if you plan to run a larger bore TB, however, since you're boosted you don't need a larger bore TB.

I'm just trying to figure out why you'd want to weaken your manifold when you already have a manifold that's cracked under boost.

RamTex 05-23-2013 12:31 PM

What year is the truck? If 09+ then go to Modern Muscle and talk to those guys about a fully ported 6.1 intake manifold and upgrade to a 90mm TB. if 08- then you got to get your crank case machined... or you will have to get the XV intake manifold.

HemiLonestar 05-23-2013 07:54 PM

The only non-plastic options are 6.1, XV or a custom welded sheet metal (the last one I saw done was going for about $1000).