DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   iPhone and siri home button (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142953)

Socalgordon 05-22-2013 01:46 PM

iPhone and siri home button

I have been looking for something like this forever! http://www.drivewithsiri.com

For those with an iPhone, iPad or touch, this is your new must have if your state has the "hands free" law while driving (like California).

NOW!!! I plan on ordering this bad boy and modding it to fit in the steering wheel (right hand side) in the nice little black bar above the cruise control buttons...

Only down side, its battery powered and has to be changed every 6-12 months unless I find a way to hard wire it, but doubt it since getting wires past the clock spring may be difficult.

Thoughts?

brandonjansen 05-22-2013 01:56 PM

Hmmm that looks pretty cool but is it really necessary? Because you will have to have your phone out and in front of you in order to use the mic and hear it right? Or will it work through your stereo via Bluetooth?

In BC we have the hands free driving law as well but we are allowed one touch on the device. So we are allowed to press a button such as Siri to at least get it going. I would think you can just have your phone out to press the button.... don't really need an external one.

Socalgordon 05-22-2013 02:13 PM

In California you are not allowed to touch your phone, at ALL! (although everyone else and their mother do it). This has been a big debate. The audio and mic goes through the radio/mirror via bluetooth (I have the 730N radio). I have my phone in a holder on my center console (floor shifter type) just next to my right knee and below the finger sized cubby hole where the 4x4 controls would be if I had 4x4.

I admit, I do press the home button to initiate siri, but still, my eyes are off the road and with CA driving in Los Angeles freeways, you never take your eyes off the road. Having the button in the wheel would make things real easy and make me 100% legal.

I was pulled over once (tailgating a slow ass Prius he was going 55mph in 70mpg in the fast lane) for tailgating... But I was let off with a warning, but I did get the 3rd degree on if I use my phone while driving since it was right there in front of me. I told him I use it for navigation. His reply was, even though you have that fancy radio in your dash??... I just smiled, thanked him for letting me go with a warning and off I went.

highlandchef 05-22-2013 02:27 PM

Very nice thanks for the heads up. I may be ordering this very soon.

brandonjansen 05-22-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socalgordon (Post 1104928)
In California you are not allowed to touch your phone, at ALL! (although everyone else and their mother do it). This has been a big debate. The audio and mic goes through the radio/mirror via bluetooth (I have the 730N radio). I have my phone in a holder on my center console (floor shifter type) just next to my right knee and below the finger sized cubby hole where the 4x4 controls would be if I had 4x4.

I admit, I do press the home button to initiate siri, but still, my eyes are off the road and with CA driving in Los Angeles freeways, you never take your eyes off the road. Having the button in the wheel would make things real easy and make me 100% legal.

I was pulled over once (tailgating a slow ass Prius he was going 55mph in 70mpg in the fast lane) for tailgating... But I was let off with a warning, but I did get the 3rd degree on if I use my phone while driving since it was right there in front of me. I told him I use it for navigation. His reply was, even though you have that fancy radio in your dash??... I just smiled, thanked him for letting me go with a warning and off I went.

Oh okay. Then I'd say that's definitely worth it for you. Cali's laws definitely sound pretty strict!

Socalgordon 05-22-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1104945)
Oh okay. Then I'd say that's definitely worth it for you. Cali's laws definitely sound pretty strict!

Strict? More like screwed up! I think that if we replaced the California Government with zoo animals, we would better off. :SHOCKED::doh:

brandonjansen 05-22-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socalgordon (Post 1104958)
Strict? More like screwed up! I think that if we replaced the California Government with zoo animals, we would better off. :SHOCKED::doh:

Haha ya I bet! I haven't heard much about your laws such as the phone one. But what I have heard about the emissions stuff is a pretty ridiculous. Like not allowing you to put a tuner or aftermarket CAI on your truck.... do they really think that's going to make a difference?

My dad's a truck driver and has a 2002 Peterbilt 379 and they won't even allow his truck into Cali anymore because it doesn't have the new emissions crap on it. They're definitely going too far if you ask me.

GTyankee 05-22-2013 02:58 PM

I also have the 730N but it is the RER, yours is likely the RHR

When i get into my Ram, i drop my phone into the full floor console, by the cigar lighter
if i need to make a call & i am listening to the radio, i have to push the VR button on the radio, it is a stretch to the far side of the radio, which is stupid
After that, it is all hands free
If i am in the NAV mode, i have to press the Phone icon to use the phone
in Nav mode, if you press the VR button, you will be speaking to the Nav voice & be asked to program a location

When using either mode, i have to shut the windows & turn down the Fan for the climate control

The mirror microphone stinks, it should be the Noise Cancelling type, so it would not pick up wind noises

GTyankee 05-22-2013 03:09 PM

In California, the Catch Can may still be on the Modified Smog list, it was a couple of years back
I will be removing the Catch Can hoses & reattaching the Stock hose before getting inspected next February, if it is still called a Modification
Smog Modifications are not allowed, even if it is an improvement

Socalgordon 05-22-2013 03:10 PM

It is all $$$$. I am surprised that they don't tax or forbid farting, they do not want all the methane to pollute the air! HAHA The CARB board here in CA is outright pathetic. They stranglehold the construction/trucking/farming/factories and tax and outlaw so much, and they turn around and whine and bitch and complain that companies and families are leaving California.

Just like all trucks in CA, are registered as COMMERCIAL and we are forced to pay higher registration fees because me MIGHT use our trucks for commercial use. It is wrong.. just wrong. I guess, guilty till proven innocent, wait. we are not given the opportunity to be innocent. Just guilty. :doh::Wow1::4-looney::158::4-dontknow: