DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alpine aftermarket system installed, some issues. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142996)

Speedogomer 05-22-2013 09:29 PM

Alpine aftermarket system installed, some issues.

So I had an alpine mrp-f300 50Wx4 amp installed, with a memphis 6 channel line out converter, alpine type S 6x9s for the rear and alpine type s 6.5 components front.

My only issue is that the sound is just too bright. The highs, especially cymbals in music, are just too overpowering.

Any ideas on how to handle this? Treble adjustments don't seem to help, gain is set relatively low, and everything is connected correctly.

autokraftgt 05-23-2013 12:09 PM

You can add some level of processing to your system...then you can adjust eq and take out some of the harshness from what you're hearing. Even a small 15 band or more adjustable eq can help....basically you will be backing off some of the higher frequency ranges....or replace components with something that has a warmer sound

Speedogomer 05-24-2013 12:32 AM

Any suggestions on a warmer sounding set of components?

The sound in general is just hollow, tinny, and lacking bass. I do have the amp set to a high pass filter, filtering out below 70hz, as that's the low end of frequency response for the speakers.

The sound dosent "fill" the truck, you're very aware the soundis coming from the iindividual speaker locations. I'm wondering if the speakers need more power. They're rated for 80w RMS and I have 50w rms. Already it's too harsh, I hate to add more power and increase the harshness without gaining any miss and lows.

autokraftgt 05-24-2013 09:04 AM

Im running dynaudio's esotar 650's and their esotar 110's
And they are as warm and natural as you can get imo
They need to be installed correctly with a lot a dampening to get full potential
Rainbows are well known to be warm and very natural sounding
A soft dome tweeter is a must imo
But with. Both brands mentioned, you're looking at a completely different price range

Speedogomer 05-24-2013 02:59 PM

$500 for just the mid bass is too expensive for my tastes. Any suggestions on a less expensive set up?

bolo1g2 05-27-2013 10:38 PM

Check ebay. You can find the Image Dynamics CTX65cs for around 175. Lots of people on the car audio forum I'm a member of love them. Check youtube for reviews and distance tests. Lots of good info on them.

kkreit01 05-29-2013 05:09 PM

I wouldn't filter the front. Run it full. What did you start with as a system? Did you have OE Alpine? Do you still have dash speakers? If so, eliminate (unplug) them. Then, you can play with tweeter locations. Some tweeters are just harsh. A lot of decent aftermarket passive crossovers have attenuation levels for tweets, but the Type S are pretty entry-level. Where are your tweets mounted?

If you decide to chose a different set of comps, chose one that has variable tweeter levels at the cross-over, and make sure it's a -xdb, and not +xdb. Play with tweeter position before permanently installing. They will sound harsh if mounted in dash.

bolo1g2 05-30-2013 10:52 AM

Sometimes tweeters and mids need to break in.

Speedogomer 05-30-2013 11:38 PM

Started with the standard, non-alpine system. The tweeters are mounted where the 3.5 dash speakers used to be.

I'm thinking of moving the tweeters to the doors and see if that helps, as low as that is though, I hate to have the sound coming from below me.

Without the high pass filter, the bass is too variable. On some songs it's fine, on other types of music it distorts very badly, to the point it's completely unable to be listened to.

The sound itself is clear enough, just the highs are overpowering. I'll have to look into new crossovers or a new set of comps I guess.